I spent a bunch of time this weekend and made some new boardcuts, of which three turned out successfully and one broke in the process. These are all oak and came from a 6"x3/4"x36" board (actually 5.5" width). From left to right in the first pic: The Pocketboard, The Big Shot, and The Y. The Pocketboard and Big Shot are stained with walnut oil and The Y has some tung oil on it, then all three were clear sprayed (notice strings still attached). The other two pics show the Pocketboard and Big Shot in hand just for size reference. I originally made the Big Shot mainly for novelty purposes, just to have a grotesquely oversized pocket shooter type slingshot (and it looks way bigger in person than in the pics), but it turned out to be rather comfy to hold, so I'm gonna try shooting it. The Y was the result of just wanting to try a different shape from the rest of my board cuts. I think it turned out rather sleek. I'm gonna throw some flats on these in a day or so and give 'em a try.
Also a pic of the tools I used, for those interested. A drill with a 2.125" hole saw, an old jigsaw (about 30 years old! Go Black & Decker!) , and a selection of files. Once the frames are cut, by far the most useful tool is the large (10") rat tail file. It's outstanding for shaping and hogging out a lot of wood.
Also a pic of the tools I used, for those interested. A drill with a 2.125" hole saw, an old jigsaw (about 30 years old! Go Black & Decker!
189 KB Views: 44
257.8 KB Views: 43
170.9 KB Views: 36
206.7 KB Views: 36