Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel stupid asking this after so much time spent shooting, but here it goes.
How is active length best determined? I mean, I have an active length of 15.6cm when shooting short draw, one end is the knot on the pouch end, the other is what? Is it the band groove itself or the tip of the fork tip, above the groove? In the case of the ocularis system, from where is it correct to measure?

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Not stupid... nearly existential... I am with MJ... at the tie in or the edge of the fork furtherest away from the slinger.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I usually go from pouch tie/knot to fork tip, when I measure my bands I leave an extra 1/2 inch or 1 inch (depending on frame) for tying, at least an inch for occularis frames as the band has to double back on its self

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
From the tie point makes sense but are the sections of band that are in contact with the fork "less active" than the free length of band.

Are friction losses where it stretches over the fork and around corners significant?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Ok, here is an example. The line is right where the plug meets the edge of the frame. I guess that's the common consensus?
I've watched ASA Wilson's video where he says that he ties right on top of the line.
Ok, it's not an issue, I mean it really is a matter of trial and error, a few mm more or less to find the sweet spot, so this question is more a question to satisfy the scientific side of things ????

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts