Slingshots Forum banner

Time to get back to building...

808 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Tree Man 
#1 ·
Have some time on my hands at last to get on with my backlog of build ideas. Hope this one works out! Using cheapo Nyatoh wood with a phenolic core so I won't be too gutted it if doesn't [emoji23]... Visualising this one as a peghead with LBS DNA...
2728f93efd5422d8a41ded1807774fa1.jpg
3b56a24ca31131d4a954495cf342700d.jpg

See less See more
#6 ·
Cool, never heard of Nyatoh wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meeee tooooo. It's been a long HOT summer now it's time to build.
Had that wood pegged for mahogany. Same family?
A very clean pattern my friend. Looks good
I am happy to see this is happening...

I will be back on my bench this weekend...and getting some long overdue gifts/trades finished.

I never heard of that wood either. That design looks like a shooter.
Thanks guys! It's a good feeling to be back at doing some building. I'm usually too busy to build over the summer months but that does give me a lot of time to dream about new projects though...

Nyatoh is a very common tropical hardwood here in South East Asia... I am not sure if it's from the mahogany family but it can certainly be stained to mimic mahogany. It is structurally quite stable and takes stains rather well so it gets used a lot as a construction material, for furniture, doors and skirting. This wood is easy to work and it finishes well - it doesn't take a lot to seal its pores. The only thing though is that it is rather plain (though exceptions do occur) so it usually gets painted over or veneered. But I guess plain has its uses too. It's just good, inexpensive utility wood.

I think the reason why you don't hear about this wood is probably because there is really nothing remarkable to warrant shipping it all the way. I suspect there may also be some lobbying against it like the lobbying against palm oil preventing it from reaching your shores in abundance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.