Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
Got nothing to do.... found some old old ads for household stuff. Some of these are still in business.

I like to go back in time sometimes. I like "Old School".

Rectangle Television Analog television Gas Font

:rolling:

A ration book. For some time after WW2 and Independence, we had food rationing. Then we built dams and things got a lot better.

Book Handwriting Font Publication Paper

Notice, the phone number has only 4 digits!!!

Gesture Sleeve Font Art Smile

Face Smile Drink Font Poster

We all had toys like this cheapo plastic thing... political correctness now frowns upon cap guns. Oh well... we got real ones now.

Revolver Handwriting Trigger Toy Font

I remember this washing powder.... think they are out of business.

Handwriting Smile Font Poster Signature

Lipton... still around, thank Allah. I have it every day.

Musical instrument Smile Font Art Poster

Pakola... still around. Better than Coke.

Font Bottle Poster Drinkware Illustration

Looks a bit unsafe. But I've seen older... they open up and you put red hot coals inside.

Bicycle part Gas Auto part Metal Pipe

Old dial phone. Do they even exist any more?

Jewellery Rectangle Body jewelry Fashion accessory Symbol

Transistor Radio... the height of home entertainment!

Forehead Headgear Font Publication Vintage clothing

I used to play a lot with these:

Product Rectangle Wheel Font Fashion accessory

New airline makes aviation history. Now they're best known for losing your bags ...

Poster Recipe Font Book Publication

Fire Brigade!

Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Car

5 Rupee note (it sez Bank of India, but it's a Pakistani Rupee). It's got a pic of whats-his-name on it... Queen's daddy. You can buy a car with one of these... 5 Rupees back then went a loooong way.

Banknote Rectangle Currency Money Cash

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
I got a laugh out of you being the remote. I used to have to go outside and turn the antenna to get the tv to come in clear. We either got Champaign, Chicago Illinois or Indianapolis Indiana. All three within 100 miles of us. One of my parents would come to the window closest to the tv tower and tell me when it was clear. Sometimes I would just get back in the house and it would go out of focus.
Back then we watched the whole half hour show, and the commercials would be at the end. Now with we can record multiple shows with the push of a button and then watch the shows fast forwarding through the commercials. We have the cheapest package available, which has Walt Disney shows for the kids.
There is also a lot of old shows and a western channel I love the western shows, they had perfected the 6 shooter to not only be accurate the length of a football field, these 6 shooters also had enough shells to get the bad guy.
The Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore) made an appearance at the mall in Lafayette. You betcha I went

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had black and white TV ,,, that too just one channel... up to the late 70s.

And way way back, I remember something like Tuesdays were a TV-holiday. No TV transmitted on Tuesdays... turn your TV on all you want.. you get squat. So you went out to eat instead and tried to make a night out of it.

This was the test card they showed before TV started with a 2 minute Koran recitation and then a nice cartoon... at around 5 - 5:30.

Notice the theme music. It was called "The Constipation Tune".

When TV went color, we got this:

But same Constipation tune.

We either got Champaign, Chicago Illinois or Indianapolis Indiana.
In Karachi, we got some Arab TV channels (very weak signal with lots of snow) if you had a high enough antenna and a booster. Those who didn't have booster used to tie pots and frying pans to their antenna. They swore it worked but I don't think so.

A few times a year weather was good enough for me to watch Soviet Union TV..... it was .. an experience.... 24 hours of watching people walk from point A to Point B. That is all they showed. Some would run in a park once in a while but that was it.

At least the Arabs showed nice American content.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Im blessed with an old soul. I looked long and hard for a truck that was manual, with crank down windows and manual locks. I just finished restoring my grandmothers bicycle she rod in her early 30's. I have a picture of her when she first got it and now when shes 90. I have more vintage things than I do modern/new.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
This older farmer came in the store one day a said he needed to talk to all of us. He said a person who worked in the agriculture industry contacted him about the hay he was feeding his cows. Of course we all said %#%#% what’s wrong with your hay. He then tells us he started making round bales, and the person from the agriculture office said the cows needed a SQUARE meal‍♂

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Kitchen appliance Home appliance Major appliance Gas Small appliance
. I remember these. Have you ever noticed we buy the latest and greatest to make our lives easier, but in my mind we make it easier, but to me it only frees time up to multi task. We buy a bigger mower to get it done quicker, but instead of using our free time we do another chore because due to the latest and greatest we can do it quicker. I'm guilty of this myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
You bet You could wash the clothes, then run them through the ringer to squeeze the water out. Then someone had to go outside and hang them on a clothesline. Even in the winter‍♂ I think that’s where the term freeze dried started‍♂ Also the term “ I feel like Ive been run through a ringer which usually meant the were extremely tired.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
821C49B6-528B-4218-AA3D-874C35A5F30A.jpeg. I remember these. Have you ever noticed we buy the latest and greatest to make our lives easier, but in my mind we make it easier, but to me it only frees time up to multi task. We buy a bigger mower to get it done quicker, but instead of using our free time we do another chore because due to the latest and greatest we can do it quicker. I'm guilty of this myself.
My mom used one of these when I was a kid. We had a small shed behind the house called the wash house. This is where we did the laundry. My job was to carry the water from the pump to the washing machine. You filled the machine with water, added soap and clothes, let them agitate for awhile then ran them through the wringer into the rinse tub, ran them through the wringer again before hanging on the clothes line. Then the washing machine and rinse tub were drained through a hose and the machine was filled again and the whole process was started again. It took almost all day to do laundry. The next day was ironing day.

My little brother got his arm caught in the wringer one time. There is a release to use in case this happened but my brother didn't think about it. The wringer rollers were spinning on his arm until my mom hit the release. His arm was bruised and looked like a serious rug burn but didn't really do any damage.

When I was a kid when people would get upset or agitated somebody would say don't get your tit in a wringer.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
When we used to play baseball in our neighbors yard we never knew just how long the game would last. It wasn’t if, it was when someone would get upset. Almost always one person had the ball and the others had the bats. And naturally the owner of the property called it off several times. I’m glad I never got upset over any games or competitions. If one of us got hurt we would go tell our parents and they would take care of it. No lawyers or police.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.