Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
thought id put an end to the speculation ,at least as far as this model was concerned bent eared stainless(****) slingshot from extremedeal.questions were asked,is it cast?,is it stainless?,you be the judge.on a positive note,i will say that it took some punishment and i feel its more than adequate for target shooting in general.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,460 Posts
So in other words that one was a zinc one? Steel would bend but not break like that right?

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats right ray,but as you saw,thats plenty strong enuff for shooting.i believe the tinker killdeer was zinc and is being used 50 yrs on

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,460 Posts
Oh yes. I have one that was advertised as zinc and I shoot it all the time. I have faith it will not break.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fair comment jack,but this was a 6 dollar sling,highly doubt it was stainless,it just pains me the chinese slingshot makers as a whole,inc dankung,are allowed to tout there **** as stainless steel,change mods without tellin you and send you what ever they please it seems

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Well said.

Unfortunately, they are in a monopoly situation. They can have bad points but I'm afraid to say that Dankung is the only out there with a 'resonable' safety standard to put trust in.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have done a video of the one I broke, just put it in a bench vice and pulled a prong off with one hand.
i believe thats called inconsistant materials,how dangerous is that!!!!!! you can see for urself,i proper went to town on that sling an yet u do it with one hand,ur either the hulk or i got a stronger one lol

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should have done a video of the one I broke, just put it in a bench vice and pulled a prong off with one hand.
i believe thats called inconsistant materials,how dangerous is that!!!!!! you can see for urself,i proper went to town on that sling an yet u do it with one hand,ur either the hulk or i got a stronger one lol
[/quote]
ill hold my hands up and say,natural fork,paul and myself must just be lucky with wot we purchsed

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
It could still be SS, but not the stainless steel you think of when you hear the word. Ever heard of sintered stainless steel? Here is some info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintering
http://www.ssisintered.com/
http://www.innovativ...less-steel.html

Here is a comparison of 316L Sintered Steel vs Standard 316L:
http://www.matweb.co...0dc0afdc63a09c8
http://www.matweb.co...f8db6dc9933fe31

^^^ The key properties to look at are:
Tensile Strength, Ultimate
Tensile Strength, Yield
Modulus of Elasticity
Elongation at Break

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
If I remember correctly, sintered steel is powdered metalurgy.

They are used in gear, tool bit production, where a powder is compressed and heated in a furnace.

Very expensive stuff!

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
A high tensile bar yield stress can vary fro 410-500Nmm-2. These steels are quite common in the construction industry as rebars.

As for stainless steel they can yield at higher strength.

I'll have to open my books or read online. I have to jog my mind as I did metalurgy years ago and it has evolved a lot nowadays.

Brittleness depends on a few factors, carbon content is one, work hardening is another, also heat threatment can be another factor

·
Registered
326 Posts
Where do you guys get the idea that it's EITHER cast OR stainless? These are not mutually exclusive as you imply. You can cast some kinds of stainless steel.

Since you said this was a $6 dollar slingshot, I assume that you did not buy this from www.dankung.com. They don't sell anything that inexpensive. So how can you cast doubt (pun intended!) on Dankung after smashing somebody ELSES product?

And "cast" does not mean "bad". The engine block on my car is cast and it has lasted a long long time. POOR castings with CHEAP metals can be fragile, but you can't draw conclusions about ALL castings or ALL alloys or ALL manufacturers based on a poorly made example.

I use "you" in the generic sense here - I am not pointing at one specific poster. There are some here, and in other threads, that have taken their amateur metallurgy silliness to some pretty wild extremes in their posts. We are talking slingshots here. They do not need to withstand a crash into the Earth's crust at the speed of light.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Haertig,

It is true we have mentioned Dankung but I don't think 'we' have associated Dankung.

There was a lot of questions asked about dealextreme slingshot, I think Marcus made it clear by doing this test.

RE: Danukung, we have stated facts that Dankung themselves gave us through email correspondance and info on their website.

You can treat 'us' as amateur , that is your right. But once a man told me, people can be called amateurs but once you have a piece of paper called a certificate to prove it that you have a level of understanding, this should be resonable enough mo make a claim.

He was a good man....

I can't speak for others but on my side I've a university degree in Stuctural Engineering with a postgraduate in Structural Engineering. I did cover a whole unit called 'Engineering Materials'.

As for my experience in Metalurgy, if I remember right, I've got a certificate from Cambridge, that was a long time ago.

Still an amateur I agree.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts