Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My neighbor just cut down a beautiful young black cherry tree (Dang shame i know) but i bartered him for it and got it as payment for mowing his yard and got a BUNCH of natty forks, my question is some of them are slightly narrow and i worry if i strip the bark they will be to thin and not strong enough,b any advice or opinions are welcome!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Hey guys! My neighbor just cut down a beautiful young black cherry tree (Dang shame i know) but i bartered him for it and got it as payment for mowing his yard and got a BUNCH of natty forks, my question is some of them are slightly narrow and i worry if i strip the bark they will be to thin and not strong enough,b any advice or opinions are welcome!
I have really thin forks that I use with 3/8" hunting bandsets...just do a strength test...clamp it in a vise and tie some paracord to the fork tips and put some weight on them...

Leaving the bark on won't add any extra strength anyways...the grain and core is what makes the wood strong

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues as far as strength goes. A natural fork is incredibly strong. As long as you can get the bands on, you should be good. Another thing to remember is the bark adds very little ( if any) strength to the wood.
If you wondering how far you can go, have a look at one of flipgun's wishbone frames. They're amazing. that should put your mind at ease.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,528 Posts
I'll echo what everyone else has said....just make BB or 1/4" shooters out of the small ones.....waste not want not

Good score though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet! Thank you guys so much, BB shooters are exactly what i was thinking from those little ones, just finished one and named him "Twig" lol you guys were right he's kinda skinny but plenty strong to zip my BBs down range!! i'll upload some pictures for you guys as i get em finished, also any thoughts on baking the cherry wood?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Sweet! Thank you guys so much, BB shooters are exactly what i was thinking from those little ones, just finished one and named him "Twig" lol you guys were right he's kinda skinny but plenty strong to zip my BBs down range!! i'll upload some pictures for you guys as i get em finished, also any thoughts on baking the cherry wood?
You should talk to our resident roasting expert Miq'mak warrior. He's da man

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys ive noticed some cracks show up in stone of the slingshots after i get them stripped but they don't seem to damaging ive filled them with plastic wood but it's there anything else i can do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.