Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back, maybe 3 or more, I did trades a couple of times with"Q", Quercusuber. Raw forks and materials for his hand carved works of art. My wife has wanted to come to Portugal for some time now. Months ago I reached out to Q to let him know our plans. We had arranged to meet at the train station in Sintra. Not only did he meet us and take us around the gorgeous village of Sintra, he shared with us a wealth of information you would be hard to get on your own.
His kindness and generosity was amazing--just as he comes across in post's on the forum--even though both of us are fairly inactive in posting these days. Not only did he take a day to spend with us, he brought gifts that were totally unexpected, but amazing. A bottle of very good Portuguese wine, a raw fork, two slings, and one of his beautifully carved slingshots.
Interactions and friendships like this all because of a forum and the simple hobby of slingshots!! It's a very interesting and small world sometimes.

Thanks Q! Gingy and I both had a great day!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Thats Fantastic!!! Q seems like an awesome guy - chatted to him a few times. His work is next level as well - you are privileged to own that specific one, its one I've seen posted, and its one I've coveted.

Sintra is fantastic - really love that village. I lived in Cascais for a year and did the last year bouncing around Lisboa while trying to find a long term let.

I was living in the next village over and organised to meet with him - he shoots where my kids were going to school - so was a sure thing (he in fact lives in the same suburb area as my wife and kids do now) - unfortunately life issues mean't I missed meeting him then - but will follow up when I am up visiting the family.

I'm sure you loved Portugal generally - its a nice place to be. The wine and port is amazing and cheap (they don't export the good stuff).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats Fantastic!!! Q seems like an awesome guy - chatted to him a few times. His work is next level as well - you are privileged to own that specific one, its one I've seen posted, and its one I've coveted.

Sintra is fantastic - really love that village. I lived in Cascais for a year and did the last year bouncing around Lisboa while trying to find a long term let.

I was living in the next village over and organised to meet with him - he shoots where my kids were going to school - so was a sure thing (he in fact lives in the same suburb area as my wife and kids do now) - unfortunately life issues mean't I missed meeting him then - but will follow up when I am up visiting the family.

I'm sure you loved Portugal generally - its a nice place to be. The wine and port is amazing and cheap (they don't export the good stuff).
Yeah, he told me he hasn't done any carving in some time now. So I really feel bad about him giving one that is so beautifully made (as are all of his works). I need to learn how to shoot a narrow forked slingshot before shooting this one!

We have had a wonderful time in your country so far. We spent 5 nights in Lisbon, just got to Fatima earlier for one night, on to Coimbra, then two nights in a small village in Serra da Lousa, then Porto. Yes, you guys have very good wine--we rarely drink--but it's been a daily occurrence with dinner here!

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Wow. Sounds like you got around. I hope you got your fill of pasteis de NATA and coffee. Its genuinely the best coffee I have ever had, no matter where you get it.

Its a pity but only got to call it home for a short period.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Friends, slings, slingshots, wine... and Coffee!
Man, this place is world class top shelf living.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
That's awesome mate! Getting to meet a member up close! If I was financially well off, a millionaire let's say, I would come visit you all ????

Reactions: Tag
1 - 15 of 15 Posts