Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks could use some help..

First I am not a power tool person..heck I'm not a any kind of tool person, if it can't be done with one of the dozen or so hand tools I own then it doesn't get done.

Today I was trying my first board cut with my one hand saw and a couple of files and thought I really could use a power saw of some type.
Now my problem is, money is very limited, and space is non-existent, my workroom is the kitchen when no one is there and the back yard when it's not raining. I was looking at the Home Depot web site and came across a spiral saw, now my question is could this be used to cut out the basic frame of a simple slingshot??? Any thoughts would be welcome. keep in mind I'm not planning on going int mass production anytime soon...
Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
You could get a pretty cheap jig-saw. That'd work if it wasn't too thick I think.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
For doing an occasional catty I feel a jigsaw is the way to go. I guarantee you will use it for something else eventually.

I have a wood flooring business and use jigsaws. I have used them for making cattys also. Even though you don't have money to blow, if at all possible, and only experience will verify your happiness, (especially if you have used a cheaper model) the Bosch 1590EVSK 6.4 Amp Top Handle Jigsaw is worth every penny you will get from the happiness derived by the design features, ease and efficiency of use.

I saw one on Amazon for 149.99. Home Depot has one also, I don't know the price.

Take it from some one who has cheaped out on too many tools and regretted it !!!! Do what you have to to buy a good tool.

Maybe I am shooting higher than what you are intending but after you use this you will feel all the good from a quality tool. And be able to sell it if you want in the future.

Oh, and definitely buy the 119BO T-shank blade(s) for what you want to do. Again, suggestion from experience.

Ray

this is and edit; might I add that for 163 reviews it got a 5 star (the highest) rating. find another product with that many reviews and come up with 5 stars.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good tools save a world of hurt later!
While a spiral saw may look great, a jigsaw will have a little more versatility as a saw.
On the other hand, a dremel or other motor in the hand tool with several bits including a spiral saw bit and a few sanding drums will be as versatile in a smaller scale general making a mess hobby sort of way.
If I had my choice, though, I think having both would be good.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, unfortunately a recent injury has left my right arm some what weakened and with a slight loss of fine motor skills, that's why I'm looking for a power substitute. I'll look into a jig saw, the reason I had thought of a spiral saw was it's ability to cut in 360 degrees sort of like a hand held scroll saw, which would make it easy to cut inside angles and curves. I know that you have to pay for quality but unfortunately after being on workers comp for over a year making do with less has had to become a art form.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There are jig-saws at the lower end. But remember too, you tend to get what you pay for.. Rayshot had a great recommendation.. Something I've been thinking about myself and was unsure which to get. Thanks Ray!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
There are jig-saws at the lower end. But remember too, you tend to get what you pay for.. Rayshot had a great recommendation.. Something I've been thinking about myself and was unsure which to get. Thanks Ray!
You are welcome Nick. It feels good to contribute. I tend to examine a tool's features relating to what could be the short and good side of each feature, and that Bosch jigsaw that has the quick change blade feature (among other convenient featueres and quality) always, and I mean always, when I pick it up there is nothing but a satisfied, good and confident feeling as I go to use it.

For sure one of the best thought out and designed tools in all I have. Some one did their homework.

You will only get satisfaction.

Would you believe I am not in any way getting compensated for promoting Bosch. Not surprisingly, it is a German made tool. My most appreciated quality tools are German made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts