Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a cheap plastic Chinese sling, but it works very well.

For fast band changing without screws etc, this trick looks good.

Do you use anything like this? Is the tube like what we buy for sling tubes? Anyone tried wooden or steel taper pins or straight pins instead of the rubber tube? Do you drill and saw to make your own slots? Any other tricks?

Any disadvantages?

Mike

Attachments

·
See The Target
22,226 Posts
Here is a video by the creator :
I see that Bill Hays just rolls up the end of the rubber, he does not have a bit of tube or anything else in the roll-up.

Mike
You are correct . It works really well . Like anything else you need to use it for awhile till you get comfortable .The addition of a piece of tube is not needed if you roll the band adequately . With thinner latex a section of tube may be helpful . Bill likes this attachment method but doesn't put it on his website slingshots due the the possibility of a customer not rolling and securing it properly .( Eye injury ) Once the concept is understood it is a great method . It really helps eliminate hand slaps due to to the high attachment point on the forks .No tools or wrapping material needed .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Theres a good youtube DIY instructional on how to cut these into your design. Unfortunately its in German and the auto translate is predictably spotty. I am going to incorporate this into my own design as soon as I get some materials together.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Theres a good youtube DIY instructional on how to cut these into your design. Unfortunately its in German and the auto translate is predictably spotty. I am going to incorporate this into my own design as soon as I get some materials together.

Ah, now this is really useful. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Whoops, don't know what happened there.

Thank you, excellent video.

Are you going to just roll the rubber end, like Bill Hays, or include a central element and double the end back, like in my photo?

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Yes it works well with a short piece of tubing to hold it in place as well... but the original idea came to me when I was on my tractor and wanted to change out a bandset... tying became impossible because I dropped one of the ties, so I thought about it and came up with a better way.

By having a method where you simply roll the band end up and insert it with sideways stretching, a person doesn't need anything more than just the slingshot and the bands you're going to use.

So now, when I'm on the tractor and after shooting and shooting at field rats and other targets of opportunity and I need to change out a bandset, all I have to do is slide the old set off and in less than a minute I've got a new set on ready for continued action.

Now you may ask, "Why don't you sell slingshots with your own attachment method on them?"

First of all.... It's simple, I tested it out on my kids... they couldn't make it work quite right, without a LOT of practice... my Lawyer suggested that it would be to risky to put something out that I know in advance will be difficult and possibly injurious for kids to use... I'm a publicly known figure and therefore easy to sue if some kid pops himself in the eye by installing bands incorrectly and not checking them adequately first.

The Chinese don't have that problem.... they can take our ideas, use them and sell them back to us for less than we can even buy the materials for... and then if something really goes wrong... well there's really NOTHING anyone can do about it. You have NO repercussion.

Secondly... I do sell slingshots with my own attachment methods... and so do a lot of others!

Universal forks, TTF forks, even the simple hole in conjunction with OTT forks are all some of mine originally... Do I really care? No.

If I really cared then I would have patented them... but of course it would have been a basically worthless patent, because international makers don't really care and will make whatever they want.... Forcing you to enforce your patent rights in court, costing thousands and gaining really nothing but bad feelings when it's all said and done.... which it never would be.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a one top slot slingshot from Amazon. I use pieces of rubber tube to secure the band. I feel it is easier to do than rolling the flat band.
I think so too. I'll play around with the one that I have (see my photo). Well, I actually have 3 like that, because I like the frame a lot.

Also, the spare end of the band does not necessarily have to project above the fork tip, it you don't want it to, though I have not tried it like that.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just got some tubing for one of mine with those slots. 0.45 band didn't hold when rolled. Looking forward to trying it
That will be interesting, please let us know how it goes. What size tube, please?

The slingshot in the photo came from China with this 0.6mm green rubber, and it holds well. I must measure the tube to learn a bit more.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whoops, don't know what happened there.

Thank you, excellent video.

Are you going to just roll the rubber end, like Bill Hays, or include a central element and double the end back, like in my photo?

Mike
Yes and Yes.
Thanks, that will be interesting.

Matching hole size, slot width, band thickness and rubber tube type/thickness will be a challenge . . . I've not seen any data about that yet. I must search again on YouTube.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bill Hays - thanks for your story.

Totally agree with you about all the problems re patents etc that you relate, and the USA is probably one of the top countries for being taken to court about almost anything.

Critical suspicion of fork strength and band-to-fork binding methods is a good place to start if you want to keep your right eye, and I certainly approach anything Chinese with extra care. The one shown in my above photo, though, is quite convincing, and I feel happy with it.

E.G. I am not "convinced" by the band clamping on my Dankung Toucan Agile Rosewood (Phew!!!!). See photos herewith. Because the sling can take fibre optic sights, the clamping plate is on MY side of the fork, so I am pulling against the strength of a 4mm screw, and I have stripped the threads of 6mm screws in other applications in the past. I would not build one like this, unless with a much thicker screw.

It is accurate, I bought it on cheap special offer in order to learn from it, I like some of the geometry, but I shall limit it to light bands and 6mm ammo.

I asked about "sights" in another thread, and I know that most people prefer to aim with the corner or top of the fork, so I shall not necessarily use the sights, especially as I am only shooting at up to 10 metres, at the moment.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Just got some tubing for one of mine with those slots. 0.45 band didn't hold when rolled. Looking forward to trying it
That will be interesting, please let us know how it goes. What size tube, please?

The slingshot in the photo came from China with this 0.6mm green rubber, and it holds well. I must measure the tube to learn a bit more.

Mike
Had a better idea for thin bands. I cut a set with a longer leader to attach to forks and rolled it a couple of times after folding. Worked a treat.

As you say with thicker bands works easily.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts