Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking on picking up the Torque via Simpleshot. I've actually been wanting to branch out into tubes and could do that on any of my current setups but the Torque has that quick attachment system, has caught my eye, and has bigass wide forks for heavy bands. I could just buy the tubes too, but then I wouldn't get to get a new slingshot so can't do that! So, couple of questions:
1.) The torque has wider forks so I can throw on some wide flatbands but it looks like a thumb supported grip so how is it for arm and hand fatigue/wobble when shooting larger ammo and thicker bands? Like 7/16" up to 1/2" steel? Why shoot 1/2" steel you ask? Because I have a distinct hatred for soda cans... they all must die, and look cool doing so.

In the past I've used a pinch grip on my scout LT and found it was more stable for thicker bands. Does the Torque support a comfortable pinch grip or will a thumb support do the trick?

2.) I've never used tubes. Making a looped band set looks straightforward enough but I'm guessing I'm probably going to want some different sizes. Suggestions? Warnings? Other tidbits I should get with the tubes? Funny quips?

So that was like 17 questions but let's pretend it was 2 since I used the numbers and all.

Of course I'm being a smartass, but I know you guys'll get me squared away with slight concern for what kinds of responses I'm about to receive. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I love the torque. It's one of my favorite frames. One thing I will caution you on about it is the width of the fork gap. If you're shooting short draw, have a dedicated, repeatable with your eyes closed anchor point and hold the frame as perfectly as possible. If not, you'll get fork hits galore. I don't shoot tubes, but for flats it's a great frame. I'm not a huge fan of the flip clips they make for it, and prefer wrap and tuck

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I love the torque. It's one of my favorite frames. One thing I will caution you on about it is the width of the fork gap. If you're shooting short draw, have a dedicated, repeatable with your eyes closed anchor point and hold the frame as perfectly as possible. If not, you'll get fork hits galore. I don't shoot tubes, but for flats it's a great frame. I'm not a huge fan of the flip clips they make for it, and prefer wrap and tuck

Yep, I had heard about the fork hits too. Thanks for the heads up.
Is it comfortable?

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
Great questions- I am curious to see the answers you get, especially regarding best tubes for heavy ammo and related suggestions for how to set them up. I would like to compare tubes to bands at some point and have no experience with what bands perform optimally with different sizes of ammo.

I had a torque and loved it. Wasn't using it as much as others so passed it along but did enjoy it. It took a little playing around to find the most comfortable pinch hold but once I decided what it was it worked well. The frame is thin and I could feel it flex when I put really heavy bands on it. Never felt in danger of failing but could feel it flex.

On the upside the Torque was easy to get into a pack or pocket, and it is fantastically versatile for mounting bands or tubes, with clips or tying, and the wide fork tips support wide bands. Similar ergo hold to other flat frames like PP Sideshooter or Slingtech Coyote but more versatile for band or tube mounting.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Yep, I had heard about the fork hits too. Thanks for the heads up.
Is it comfortable?
It's a comfortable thumb brace hold. I have large/xl size hands and a full pinch grip on it is uncomfortable for me.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Great questions- I am curious to see the answers you get, especially regarding best tubes for heavy ammo and related suggestions for how to set them up. I would like to compare tubes to bands at some point and have no experience with what bands perform optimally with different sizes of ammo.

I had a torque and loved it. Wasn't using it as much as others so passed it along but did enjoy it. It took a little playing around to find the most comfortable pinch hold but once I decided what it was it worked well. The frame is thin and I could feel it flex when I put really heavy bands on it. Never felt in danger of failing but could feel it flex.

On the upside the Torque was easy to get into a pack or pocket, and it is fantastically versatile for mounting bands or tubes, with clips or tying, and the wide fork tips support wide bands. Similar ergo hold to other flat frames like PP Sideshooter or Slingtech Coyote but more versatile for band or tube mounting.
Yeah I'm sure some of the moderators are like, shuttup Ryan! Lol. Nah. Questions are how you learn, and I tend to ask a lot. I've already realized I'm gonna be in the sport a while. So long as I'm shooting more than I'm asking questions lol

·
Ray Rowden
2,993 Posts
The 2040 tubes are a good place to start, especially if you want to shoot heavy ammo. Looped 2040s will devastate cans, even with a short draw. Make your first sets for a relaxed length about 1/4 your draw length. It's easy to shorten them if you need more power.

If your draw is 36 inches or more, you may find singles have enough power. I prefer to aim with singles. And, of course, they are half the draw weight.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I have a torque, worked great with the black SS bands and the clips. When I went to Precise 5mil the clips wouldn't hold on the left fork. Got smacked in the face three times the last time right across the lips at full draw. Took that orange sob to the shop really went after it. Sent the clips to one of the forum members. Finicky rascal but I finally got it to shoot for me. I have a 30" draw and had to have a perfect corner of the mouth hold and a perfect release. If I did that, it shot right on the money.

Nothing against SS, they make a good product. I was new to the sport and caused most of the problems myself. Except the clip tbl. Nat said I was nuts, but he wasn't the one getting smacked in the mouth! That will make anybody nuts if you do it often enough.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I liked the Torque enough to make a couple more with modified grips and a little thicker handle. I don't know squat about tubes and just wrap the bands so the clips are a mystery as well but the thumb grip is very stable and effortless , especially with a little more heft to the handle and the hook on the end. I've found it to be very enjoyable shooting with longer bands and partial butterfly. I don't shoot TTF so fork hits have been non existent. If you want to try one , let me know if you're traveling up to the Duke City and you can borrow it. Brown Wood Font Wood stain Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
i loved my torque-so did my grandaughter-never shot looped tubes on it,just bands,and i too prefer the wrap and tuck over the clips,its a very comforatable shooter,dont think i would put hunting strength bands on it tho,and i shoot OTT so never had a fork hit,i probably should buy another one,i dont think i be getting my old one back,lol

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
I liked the Torque enough to make a couple more with modified grips and a little thicker handle. I don't know squat about tubes and just wrap the bands so the clips are a mystery as well but the thumb grip is very stable and effortless , especially with a little more heft to the handle and the hook on the end. I've found it to be very enjoyable shooting with longer bands and partial butterfly. I don't shoot TTF so fork hits have been non existent.
Beautiful homemades!

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.