Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think there's a lot of wisdom in "Over the Top" style of attachment

it has to do with shooting flip style and popularization of flatbands

since Mr. Rufus Hussey and other legends didn't utilize this feature, i wonder who was among the first to introduce this ingenious method

the founding members of this site will know a lot more than i am able to find.

if you please recall where you first saw this i really appreciate your help, thank you! :bowdown:

OTT.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
OTT is OLD. It was the typical method of attachment and shooting in South America from the late 1880's and beyond.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Never seen anything like it.

There are many pictures from the book on the internet if you care to do a search.
I found many by typing the name of the book into google images.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I guess that book is for a true lover of the history of slingshots. At $125.00 a pop, it will be a while before it is on my book shelves! :)

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
A old black man taught me how to make slingshots when I was about 7 years old (I am 76 now). He taught me African style like this picture, only with flat red inter-tube. The bands were laid on one side of the fork tip and wrapped with about the same width of inter-tube as the bands themselves. 2 buddies and I shot these slingshots over the top. I don't know when they started this practice in Africa, but it was quite a bit earlier than that. -- Tex -- African Slingshot. - USA Slingshot Forum

Reactions: strikewzen

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I guess that book is for a true lover of the history of slingshots. At $125.00 a pop, it will be a while before it is on my book shelves! :)
I think she got it much cheaper than that. It has a large stain on it. She is an avid book collector, so she knows how to wheel and deal.
Her indian name is Shops with a Fist.
A old black man taught me how to make slingshots when I was about 7 years old (I am 76 now). He taught me African style like this picture, only with flat red inter-tube. The bands were laid on one side of the fork tip and wrapped with about the same width of inter-tube as the bands themselves. 2 buddies and I shot these slingshots over the top. I don't know when they started this practice in Africa, but it was quite a bit earlier than that. -- Tex -- African Slingshot. - USA Slingshot Forum
The Hispanic folks did the same thing where I grew up in Miami. They wrapped them all the way down.
Many D.R., P.R, and Cuban folks have African roots. Perhaps there's something in that..

If it didn't look like that it was a store bought wrist rocket of some kind. I was never lucky enough to learn anything more
about them other than what I saw with my eyes.

I think the steady availablity of good quality rubber would be important to any slingshot enthusiast. From what I've read there were very few successful plantations in the begining.
I would bet the slingshot and OTT had humble beginings in a shack near a rubber plantation or refinery.

These are the things I wonder about when I'm launching projectiles.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's amazing to be able to hear directly from you sir, a great insight of how it all began and past down, without the link all will be lost

you are truely a living legend and we are very very lucky to constantly learn from your contributions and honest opinions here.

thank you!! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts