Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Hey guys! Several moons ago, Darrell and I worked us out a trade. We've both received our ends a while back, so I thought I'd finally share what went down. This post is what I sent his way.
I already knew that he was wanting a slightly bigger Tiny Turtle with resin involved, so I came up with this. I took an oak natty and pretty much skeletonized it. I made 2 halves hollowed out. I added a section of red cedar between these halves. Then, one side at a time, I glued stuff into the cavities. This included walnuts, hickory nuts, tulip poplar seed pod, and hickory sticks. I then mixed some blue and green pearl powders with resin added this in to each side. I sanded this flush and rounded the edges. After sanding to 320 and going over the surface with scotch brite, I had a few coats of clear coat added and she was complete! This was a fun and imaginative experience. Thanks @SLING-N-SHOT for trading with me and thanks everybody for looking!
The awesomeness I received from Darrell will be posted soon. :D

Attachments

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,192 Posts
*** copied and pasted from the " other " forum. ***

WHOA Drew, that is so cool to see the build progress on my custom Tiny Turtle brother.....and I am T-Totally thrilled with what I got, but if I'm being honest.....this thing is just too purdy to chance a fork hit, so I haven't even banded it up yet, but I do go and pick it up often, caress it, look at her graceful curves, LOL......Well, y'all understand the sickness. so nuff said, haha.
Amazing sling (s) trade with Drew, I couldn't be happier, thanks so much brother !

BTW.....all of what I sent you can be banded in one way or another......some get banded with latex, some with Turquoise, LOL. ;-)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*** copied and pasted from the " other " forum. ***

WHOA Drew, that is so cool to see the build progress on my custom Tiny Turtle brother.....and I am T-Totally thrilled with what I got, but if I'm being honest.....this thing is just too purdy to chance a fork hit, so I haven't even banded it up yet, but I do go and pick it up often, caress it, look at her graceful curves, LOL......Well, y'all understand the sickness. so nuff said, haha.[/size]Amazing sling (s) trade with Drew, I couldn't be happier, thanks so much brother ![/size]

BTW.....all of what I sent you can be banded in one way or another......some get banded with latex, some with Turquoise, LOL. ;-)[/size]
I'll try to not get them mixed up! ;)
Oh my! that is just a work of art. Ty for the pics, i just want to make something with resin one day.......but its never gonna be as good as this. Hats off!

/Uba
Thank you!

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,192 Posts
Drew, that ain't nothin' but cool!!!

:whisper: It went to a great home too, Darrell is one **** of a guy!
Aww shucks, thanks Jake....I just try to be the best person I can, and give more than I receive if possible.( I still owe several here stuff, but work gets in the way.... I had 31 hrs logged just on Thursday and Friday this week )
Everyone I've interacted with here seems to be the same way, great bunch of guys and gals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drew...
Every night since you posted that silhouette cut, I take my little UV light out and look for scorpions. Have yet to see one. My plan is to catch one and put him in the freezer. creative guys like you give us old folks all manner of ideas.
Think it will work?
I think it will work, but I think the scorpions may need to be dried. I've tried some bugs in resin over the last couple weeks and have had issues with the resin adhering properly to them. They had been preserved in alcohol.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I think it will work, but I think the scorpions may need to be dried. I've tried some bugs in resin over the last couple weeks and have had issues with the resin adhering properly to them. They had been preserved in alcohol.

Freeze dry? maybe? If I can find one, I'll give it a try and let you know. All I have is some Bondo resin and it is honey colored but should be clear enough to be able to see through.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Freeze dry? maybe? If I can find one, I'll give it a try and let you know. All I have is some Bondo resin and it is honey colored but should be clear enough to be able to see through.
That bonding resin may give you an entirely different result and be very cool with that color, as if the scorpion is preserved in amber.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts