Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone would like to start up a traveling slingshot. The slingshot would travel around the world and each recipient would hunt with it, post up pictures and a story of the hunt and send it on to the next hunter. I would think that it should be a natural fork or something handmade. I would gladly donate the slingshot but I have little experience in the makings of one and you would probably be disappointed. Anyone want to get involved?

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I think it would be cool to have two of these. One for non-hunting enthusiasts and one for hunters. I have seen this take place on www.tradgang.com with traditional bows and it makes for great stories and unity within the commmunity.

If someone wants to organize this, I will donate one frame for each venue. Perhaps at the completion the frames can be auctioned or sold and the entire proceeds go towards something slingshot community related ie. supporting Slingshot forum, supporting a tournament, etc?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you HAVE to hunt with it?
I thought about this today while at work. I know it isn't fair to leave a slingshot enthusiest out just because they dont hunt. On the other hand, I would hate to offend someone with pictures of kills, videos etc. and I can almost assure you that there will be too much bickering and arguements over it. I do however think it would be a great idea to have two different traveling slingshots as mentioned before. One for hunting and one for target/trick shooting.

It doesn't look like we'll have a hard time at all getting a few slingshots in the mail soon which is great. Since there are hunting seasons for different game, everyone should be aware of their laws and regulations before posting any reports. You should only request the slingshot sent to yourself if you plan to hunt with it. I also think there should be a time limit on how long each person gets to use it. Maybe a week or two? Then it's to be sent on to the next shooter. This way the slingshot will get to travel to more places and get more history behind it. This should apply to the target/trick shooting fork as well. Any disagreements, suggestions? I'm all ears, or eyes I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I think that two weeks per shooter is adequate. We will need an honor system wherein each person pledges to use, document, and mail the slingshot to the next shooter in line. It will be the person in possession of the slingshot to make sure that the next person in line receives the slingshot in a timely manner and to post pictures and stories about their time with the slingshot.

For the hunters: Fall is fast approaching in the northern hemsiphere and small game seasons will be opening, so that should not be an issue.

Target/Trick shooters: anytime is shooting time.

For this to be meaningful and worthwhile, it is imperative that those who participate do so according to the mutually agreed upon rules. Nothing will stop this sort of venture faster than a person who receives the slingshot the doesn't document or send on to the next person.

As I stated earlier, I will donate two slingshots- one for hunters and one for target.

I am out as far as being the organizer, sorry!!

Nathan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with all of the above Nathan. We should start getting a list of the people who would like to recieve the slingshots first, PM flippinout their address and get the ball rolling.

One thread for each slingshot should be started to post their reports/experiences with pictures, videos etc. That way it stays orginized. The thread for the target shooting fork should probably be under the General forum and obviously the hunting reports should be posted in a thread under the hunting forum. Does this sound ok?

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
do we have an organizer?
i guess i would be willing if no one else will.
but honestly i wouldn't want to start it for a few days at least.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
All sounds good so far, but we do need an official organizer/cat herder!

The organizer would be responsible for enforcing the few rules necessary: ie. two weeks per user, start date, end date, what to do with the slingshot once it is over. I think for simplicity and temporal convenience that it should be 2 weeks per person with maxiumum of 6 people per slingshot. To add more will require focused participation for possibly too long amongst followers and participants.

Just my ideas! I am offering one Omega and One Axiom model from my series. Perhaps there could be exchange between hunters and target shooters during the event so hunters and target shooters each get to try the slingshots, or not!

Let's try to keep this thing simple for all involved and we will all get more enjoyment out of it.

And we need to decide what becomes of the slingshots. I vote that they be auctioned or purchased and proceeds go to support Slingshot Forums.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yall are welcome to organize this thing, as mentioned before Nathan said he will supply one extra band per slingshot. If anyone needs more, feel free to attach your own or I can get a band to the slingshot holder if need be. I keep a few extra at all times.

I'm just wondering if we'll have enough people interested in participating. Doesn't seem like too many folks are interested yet. May just turn out to be a few involved. I think it would be quite interesting to see where they end up myself.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Already posted this in the "General Discussion" side of this thread, but I'd like to be involved as a "target shooter"
Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Slinghshots rule, the slingshots would go anywhere that it can be shipped. That's the idea behind the traveling slingshots.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts