Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It works. My complaint is that the time it takes me to get the bands straight and ready to shoot is far greater than an OTT. This eliminates the quick shots I often rely on. Anyone else have this issue?

Admittedly, I own two TTF slingshots and have shot less than 100 shots through them so it might be a technique/practice issue.

I can shake my OTT's and straighten out the bands in a second, without looking. But that took 1000s of shots to dial in. Maybe y'all can enlighten me on how to do it with TTF.

On the upside they do aim nicely. I seem to hit what I shoot at.
People in nature Happy Art Slope Electric blue

· Registered
99 Posts
Yes. I then watched a video by Fowler [I think]. He ran his finger down the length of one of the twisted bands from fork to pouch and "viola" straight bands ready for next shot...no violent prolonged shaking required. I tried it and it worked...yes occasionally I needed to re-run the finger down the band to untwist it but generally it worked first time.

Maybe you already do this and it still takes too much time for the reload and quick shot?...[I can imagine you gotta be pretty quick for some of those critters!]

A while back I started to notce the same twist issue...I came to relate it to a particular noise I heard from the bands on the occasions it happened...and it still does occasionally...maybe related to a pouch hold or a small misalignment of bands [or even placement/misplacement of ammo if in a rush?] on release of shot?. I hear the noise look at the bands and there it is...bandset with many twists.

· Mojave Mo
5,582 Posts
If I am asked to step up to the line and take a shot at 33.3ft then I grab the TTF. I am comfortable making some minimal distance adjustments in a fixed target environment. However, stump shooting, hunting, or calling out random targets at random distances is when I pull out the OTT. I suppose somewhat similar in theory as a Olympic Archer setup vs a Bow Hunter/Stalker setup?

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. I then watched a video by Fowler [I think]. He ran his finger down the length of one of the twisted bands from fork to pouch and "viola" straight bands ready for next shot...no violent prolonged shaking required. I tried it and it worked...yes occasionally I needed to re-run the finger down the band to untwist it but generally it worked first time.

Maybe you already do this and it still takes too much time for the reload and quick shot?...[I can imagine you gotta be pretty quick for some of those critters!]

A while back I started to notce the same twist issue...I came to relate it to a particular noise I heard from the bands on the occasions it happened...and it still does occasionally...maybe related to a pouch hold or a small misalignment of bands [or even placement/misplacement of ammo if in a rush?] on release of shot?. I hear the noise look at the bands and there it is...bandset with many twists.
I too run a finger down the bands to straighten them out. It works well.

· Premium Member
3,335 Posts
For target shooting (aiming) at a fixed distance TTF is best (except I haven't practiced it enough).

For unknown range and quick target acquisition (instincrual shooting) OTT is best.

These are broad generalizations and like just my opinion, man.

Also y'all should know I am just plinker and think OTT on an ole natty is as classy as it gets in slingshots.

· Registered
27 Posts
Great pic I always enjoy your videos too, been a youtube subscriber for a while im timberlifter on there.

I find that a pinch grip ttf is really intuitive for hunting for me as I spend a bit less time focusing on the angle of wrist slanting or finger bracing - its probably horses for courses though - everyone is different.

the twisty band thing may be partly muscle memory I don't notice it as much of an issue myself but i tend to shoot quite fat tapers short draw so maybe they are less inclined to tangle.

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great pic I always enjoy your videos too, been a youtube subscriber for a while im timberlifter on there.

I find that a pinch grip ttf is really intuitive for hunting for me as I spend a bit less time focusing on the angle of wrist slanting or finger bracing - its probably horses for courses though - everyone is different.

the twisty band thing may be partly muscle memory I don't notice it as much of an issue myself but i tend to shoot quite fat tapers short draw so maybe they are less inclined to tangle.
It is likely a muscle memory issue for me. As I was shooting my Ott last night I started paying more attention to how I straighten bands and I do have a process I do without thinking or looking. A quick flip and run my finger down to the pouch put ball in pouch and pinch. I need to develop a similar process for TTF.

Thanks for the sub! I appreciate your comments and feedback on my videos man!

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started shooting TTF this summer and I really like it. I shot myself in the hand on the second shot but since then no hand hits. Not sure why I like TTF, I just do. It seems easier to aim somehow. I am using my Scout XT in TTF mode.
Yeah I agree the aiming is real easy inside of 13 yards for me. Which is the majority of my hunting shots.

When you need to stretch that distance it gets tricky.

But man I'm not trashing TTF. If it puts food on your table go get it. I'm still learning this mysterious art. TTF might get me going after more practice. I'm still new at all of this.

· Premium Member
148 Posts
TTF it's fantastic up until you have to compensate for drop. At that point the sling and hand are blocking the view of the target. TTF was the first method I became proficient at. I'm a hunter at heart and the limitations of TTF ( in my hands, I know there many awesome shooters who hunt just fine with it) made me want to shoot ott. I gave up on the switch several times because I just couldn't get consistent accuracy with ott. I worked through it over a period of years until I finally got comfortable. I haven't shot TTF in about 5 years and I'm very happy and content with OTT.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts