Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holdover is when you raise your frame to hit targets at longer distances

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
i've put my aiming sight on the top fork, a bit like aiming with the band on a TTF, I guess it'll have the same end result at longer distances (and i tried at like 35m or more)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Depends on the person. I am also more accurate and feel more comfortable with TTF. It's true about the holdover, but I've gotten used to it and I don't care at all.
Also with TTF I get less handslaps as sometimes I like to shoot bands a bit over powered.

I also shoot OTT sometimes though.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I do think TTF is inherently more accurate than OTT.... but of course like most things in life "your mileage may vary".

I could go on a long spiel about how and why it is... but what would be more interesting would be if somebody other than my tests were to do them.... Once you do some benchtesting I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion as well.

That's about all folks.... we're in the middle of post season playoffs in baseball right now, and the work load never gets smaller either... so time for a little shut eye.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do think TTF is inherently more accurate than OTT.... but of course like most things in life "your mileage may vary".

I could go on a long spiel about how and why it is... but what would be more interesting would be if somebody other than my tests were to do them.... Once you do some benchtesting I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion as well.

That's about all folks.... we're in the middle of post season playoffs in baseball right now, and the work load never gets smaller either... so time for a little shut eye.
hmmm :( if you say so, I believe it.
When I'll be much better, I'll know by myself.

So do you advise to train with TTF until you get very good?

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
hmmm :( if you say so, I believe it.
When I'll be much better, I'll know by myself.

So do you advise to train with TTF until you get very good?
No, I suggest you use whatever type of slingshot you're most comfortable with... use the one that you like the most. You'll probably be a better shot with that one whether it's TTF, OTT, looped tubes or whatever else.... Use the one that you like the most.

·
Super Moderator
2,467 Posts
I shoot both every day and my most accurate is TTF, but both work. OTT will go right or left just a touch, where TTF can go up or down a touch. So when shooting cans, if you shoot OTT and seem to be missing too often, try laying them on their sides instead of standing them up. See if it helps anyway. I'm usually shooting from 20 to 50meters and you can really see the differences at longer distances.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I suggest you use whatever type of slingshot you're most comfortable with... use the one that you like the most. You'll probably be a better shot with that one whether it's TTF, OTT, looped tubes or whatever else.... Use the one that you like the most.
and if i see no difference between both, should I care? I don't want to train on something and not learn at my full potential because I chose OTT instead of TTF, i wanna optimize my time!

·
Registered
824 Posts
and if i see no difference between both, should I care? I don't want to train on something and not learn at my full potential because I chose OTT instead of TTF, i wanna optimize my time!
If you shoot exactly equally well either way you shouldn't care at all which you use.
Do tests shooting OTT and TTF at different types and sizes of targets, at different distances, heights... etc and make a comparison with which way you have the highest hit rate. Stay with that form even if also shoot the other way sometimes.

At least that is what I have done. I'm definitely more comfortable and better aiming shooting TTF, and I shoot TTF most of the time, although I also do OTT sometimes.

I also became a bit obsessed with this topic at first, but it's as simple as using what works best for you🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I shot exclusively OTT for about 10 years. My accuracy greatly improved but, as was mentioned by Reed, my windage would sometimes go sour. When I was having a Zen-day I was viscous on targets and even stretched out distances to 50 and 75 yards. A few years ago I bought a TTF Mini-Taurus and that frame instantly became my most accurate shooter. Some will say it's not the frame but the shooter. I believe that certain frames seem to mesh well with a shooter and accuracy seems to come easier. With that said, I still enjoy my OTT Tianpeng frame and also another steel OTT hammer-pinch that shoots well for me.

With the TTF Mini-T I can reach out to 50 yards by changing my anchor point. Most OTT shooters will change their fork reference points as distances increase but this doesn't work for TTF so I just change the anchor point a tiny bit. You don't need a big change, just like OTT shooters don't change the fork reference by much. I'm fond of an ear point anchor so I simply adjust my anchor point to various parts of my ear. For close shots I use the ear flap (tragus) or even the top half of the tragus. For longer shots I would use the bottom of the tragus, top of lobe or even the bottom of the lobe for very long shots. Many shooters will frown upon changing an anchor point but the method does work fine for the ear.

Try everything and stick with what works best for you.

Here is one of my favorite long distance shots done by Bill with a TTF frame.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Still only a year or so into this hobby, had thought ott offering the band thickness line up stacking a very thin line would help get on target.
But feeling more and more accurate with ttf, strange.
With a ink line centered on the top band and both edges, 3 lines, giving much more surface area to sight seems to be working better for me.
Using cheap china scout hdpe clones 9.5 cm
fork width for ttf shooting 8,10,12 steel have tested on target vs exact same frames but ott, better ttf.
I have been enjoying 3/4 draw a lot, always ott, but next band changes will
rig some ttf to test.
Love this pastime and testing has akways been a joy in my life and with Sling Shots so much fun to be had!
ukj

1 - 20 of 59 Posts