Slingshots Forum banner

TTF most accurate said Bill Hays???

4K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  THWACK! 
#1 ·
Why Bill Hays says that TTF is the most accurate? in this old video

I switched to OTT and I don't see any difference

#43 ·
Bill - Yeah as mentioned I 100% agree That TTF is as mentioned.

My question is if the definition for TTF is simply too broad.

Should we Look at TTF-OTF (outside the fork) and TTF-ATF (attached through fork) - or look at separating the 2 styles totally. TTF and OTF. Basically we have attached so bands go around the outside of the fork - and then we have attached so the band/tube in some way exits the fork post on (or is attached to) the shooters side.

The traditional way of attaching bands where I grew up was a natural fork with a groove - bands wrapped around the groove and tied on the shooters side (TTF). Though a band-wrapped fork OTT is also used.

A similar discussion did come up a few years back - Gary's weigh in was insightful.

Its a totally useless discussion really - as it won't change anything - but just hypothetical.

#46 ·
I’m thinking of giving TTF another go just for the fun of it! I don’t really have enough info to form an opinion on accuracy since I’m primarily an OTT shooter. I do think it’s fun to try everything when it comes to slingshots though. You never know what will be enjoyable for you and knowing both setups is probably handy to learn anyway. If nothing else you get to collect a greater variety of cool slingshots. I’d like to try out the HTS one of these days whenever I’m able.

I’m a little jealous of that tractor mostly, if I had to be honest 😂. The things I could do with that baby!

#51 ·
Well, after watching Bill Hays' video about shooting TTF and OTT from the tractor loader bucket and getting a tighter group with the TTF, I've been shooting my only real TTF frame so much the bands need replacing.
And maybe its all in my head but boy, it did seem to shoot pretty accurate.
Could it be I'm just paying more attention so it means I'm maybe concentrating a bit better?
Great video BTW. Thank you for doing that!

#55 ·
@ Bill Hays "ALSO, I DO believe there may be a "magic combination" of attachment height, tip angle and edge geometry that will virtually eliminate hand slap and the other very small negative factors associated with OTT vs. TTF... and on a certain few prototypes I've made over the years it seems like I'm almost there... So at some point I think this thing will get "whooped"..."

I have to agree with that. I have a Bb shooter I like to use - very low fork tips and paracord tabs OTT - no matter what I do that setup bites me, surprisingly painfully for a light setup...

#59 ·
HOWEVER - if using butterfly style ("Papillion" for the Frenchies), one keeps his/her reference point (fork tip corner) the same on the target, no matter what the distance. In butterfly style ("mariposa" in Spanish), one compensates for the distance, not by obscuring the target and hoping for the best, but by adjusting the stretch length of the bands, accomplished with experience, just like anything else.

It's the old saying "One shouldn't lose sight of things".

See the excellent, detailed instructional videos of YT channel "Slingshotsniper TR".

Best2u,
THWACK!

Reactions: Roll Fast
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.