Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t Understand—I am new to slinging. Most of what I have watched and read claim that TTF is easier for beginners to master and also some claim more accurate. Why is it 90% of shooter seem to shoot OTT. Apparently in China nearly all shooter are OTT. Why is OTT so much more prevalent??
Paul

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It's all about personal preference.

I shoot TTF for years then switched to OTT, as of now I can't see myself ever going back to TTF.

My suggestion is to try both ways, then you'll know which one suits you the best.

Welcome aboard and have fun!

Sent from my SM-A426U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Welcome.

I shoot both OTT and TTF. And I'm with all above for trying a variety of frames and seeing what you like. I enjoy both and am equally likely to miss the target with either.

I think the only substantive difference I have heard are that TTF tends to have less handslap since the bands tend to return through the fork rather than returning toward the hand holding the frame. And OTT may be the way to go when shooting butterfly / extended draws due to lower likelyhood of hand hits- I believe also due to the bands going over the top of the forks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
OTT!
It's more forgiving.

As a beginner I found aligning all the required fundamentals including draw strength stability, correct pouch hold, maintaining precise squareness of the forks, release, frustration, fatigue, all too much to shoot TTF with fork and hand hits a painful deterrent..... both physically and mentally.

Run with whatever works for you and chase the fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am weird in that regard... I prefer shooting TTF for butterfly shooting (no handslaps) and OTT for short draw precision shooting (clear Aiming point).

I am still a little scared of the RTS probability of OTT which is another reason I prefer TTF for butterfly shooting. I am however far more accurate with OTT as I am more of a methodical guy, not so much a "feeling" guy... therefor short draw with clear aiming point and repetition through anchor points suits me better than feeling where the projectile is behind my head.

In the end, try both, stick with what you like best.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So maybe I'm a bit lazy, but I find OTT with a simple pouch is a little quicker and less fussy to untwist before each shot.
The TTF requires a little more untwisting (sometimes anyway) and a little more fancy hand work to get the bands properly lined up on the forks before each shot.
It is no great difficulty but the TTF set-ups seem to line up more natuarlly and untangle a little easier.
I wonder if tubes are even better for no twist and no tangle compared to bands?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So maybe I'm a bit lazy, but I find OTT with a simple pouch is a little quicker and less fussy to untwist before each shot.
The TTF requires a little more untwisting (sometimes anyway) and a little more fancy hand work to get the bands properly lined up on the forks before each shot.
It is no great difficulty but the TTF set-ups seem to line up more natuarlly and untangle a little easier.
I wonder if tubes are even better for no twist and no tangle compared to bands?
I suspect this is the reason for a lot of shooters. Especially those that compete. Many contests the shooter only has a set amount of time to complete the task. I started shooting TTF and until I become become more consistent I will stick with it. I am able to consistently put 9 or 8 in a three inch circle. Long way from lighting at match from 10 meters. Still enjoying my slinging . Getting better as my fingers toughen up

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Hi Paul,

Yes, there seems to be a lot more shooters using the OTT but don't let that influence your choice. Try them all and stick with what works best for you. Find out what helps you achieve your best accuracy.

I started this slingshot journey 30 years ago with a TruMark FS-1, fat tubes and .44cal cast lead balls. Next was a Daisy P51 that was somewhat similar. Over the years I discovered the forums and learned how to build boardcut frames so I made over a hundred and experimented with size, shape, designs and materials. Then I grew fond of the steel Chinese loop ear frames with skinny tubes and so I rested in that area for many years. Then I opened up my mind a bit more and tried some of the different frames from AliExpress dealers, Pocket Predator, SimpleShot and others. I had the Universal BoyScout, SERE, OTT Ranger Tac, Mini-Taurus OTT & TTF, Axiom Ocularis, Jelly Bean Ocularis, Wasp Stinger, Tianpeng, Popeye, Feihu, Lion Mouth, Antelope, StoneSpear SPS, Dobber Catapults F1, Wingshooter Longbow, etc, etc.

Most of my frames were OTT but a few were TTF. What improved my accuracy the most was when I transitioned from instinctive to conscious aiming. I'm not knocking instinctive/intuitive aiming but found I could extend my accuracy distance to 30+ yards when conscious aiming. Another thing that improved my accuracy was getting away from the common thumb-brace hold and moving to a pinch-hammer grip with a fairly narrow fork width. It just worked better for me. Gangster hold, as always. I have experimented with eight ammo sizes and settled on 7mm & 8mm but will also use BBs a lot during the winter months.

Out of more than 200 slingshots the 3 that I only seem to now shoot are the TTF Mini-Taurus, Tianpeng and the Lion Mouth. The Mini-Taurus TTF has been my most accurate shooter for over 2 years now.

What's my point? For most of my slingshot years I was not at all interested in TTF designs, hammer grip frames, lanyards or small ball ammo. This stuff was all against my grain. It was Roger Henrie (Wingshooter) who convinced me to try the TTF Mini-T. After giving TTF an honest try I was shocked to see my consistency improve. As a bonus I have never had a handslap with TTF and pinch-hammer hold. To be honest I think the pinch-hammer hold is a huge contributor to my improved accuracy. It just points naturally like pointing a finger. No cocked back wrist, frame flipping or thumb bracing needed. Some guys shoot very well and much better than me with a basic flat frame design. I did give the OTT flat frame an honest try for many years and did have fun and some nice accuracy. I just find the TTF pinch-hammer easier to shoot and I like the contoured grip on the Mini-T. With that said, I'll still periodically pick up a flat frame and have some fun.

My two favorite OTT frames still get lots of use. The Tianpeng is rigged up for BBs and the Lion Mouth is for when I want to shoot a traditional Chinese peghead frame. Both are pinch-hammer frames.

You could try my preferred designs, shooting style and ammo sizes and hate it all. That's fine. It's okay if we don't like the same thing. But you will never know until you try. I was pleasantly surprised. Bill Hays, the Mini-Taurus designer, does very well with this frame and other TTF designs.

The bottom pic is a shadowbox coffee table in my basement. All slingshots are fun!

Bicycle part Tool Metal Font Bridal shoe

Gesture Finger Toy Nail Thumb

Brown Wood Art Gas Glass

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
PP TTF Taurus and Scorpion are two of my favorites (both TTF). Both have the very natural comfortable grip that @Northerner mentioned. The hand web support design is amazing. They are opposite ends of the spectrum on fork width (Taurus narrow, Predator wide). But they are both so natural and easy to hold. I have two of each and don't see ever giving them up, even though I play with OTT and other frames a lot also.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi Paul,

Yes, there seems to be a lot more shooters using the OTT but don't let that influence your choice. Try them all and stick with what works best for you. Find out what helps you achieve your best accuracy.

I started this slingshot journey 30 years ago with a TruMark FS-1, fat tubes and .44cal cast lead balls. Next was a Daisy P51 that was somewhat similar. Over the years I discovered the forums and learned how to build boardcut frames so I made over a hundred and experimented with size, shape, designs and materials. Then I grew fond of the steel Chinese loop ear frames with skinny tubes and so I rested in that area for many years. Then I opened up my mind a bit more and tried some of the different frames from AliExpress dealers, Pocket Predator, SimpleShot and others. I had the Universal BoyScout, SERE, OTT Ranger Tac, Mini-Taurus OTT & TTF, Axiom Ocularis, Jelly Bean Ocularis, Wasp Stinger, Tianpeng, Popeye, Feihu, Lion Mouth, Antelope, StoneSpear SPS, Dobber Catapults F1, Wingshooter Longbow, etc, etc.

Most of my frames were OTT but a few were TTF. What improved my accuracy the most was when I transitioned from instinctive to conscious aiming. I'm not knocking instinctive/intuitive aiming but found I could extend my accuracy distance to 30+ yards when conscious aiming. Another thing that improved my accuracy was getting away from the common thumb-brace hold and moving to a pinch-hammer grip with a fairly narrow fork width. It just worked better for me. Gangster hold, as always. I have experimented with eight ammo sizes and settled on 7mm & 8mm but will also use BBs a lot during the winter months.

Out of more than 200 slingshots the 3 that I only seem to now shoot are the TTF Mini-Taurus, Tianpeng and the Lion Mouth. The Mini-Taurus TTF has been my most accurate shooter for over 2 years now.

What's my point? For most of my slingshot years I was not at all interested in TTF designs, hammer grip frames, lanyards or small ball ammo. This stuff was all against my grain. It was Roger Henrie (Wingshooter) who convinced me to try the TTF Mini-T. After giving TTF an honest try I was shocked to see my consistency improve. As a bonus I have never had a handslap with TTF and pinch-hammer hold. To be honest I think the pinch-hammer hold is a huge contributor to my improved accuracy. It just points naturally like pointing a finger. No cocked back wrist, frame flipping or thumb bracing needed. Some guys shoot very well and much better than me with a basic flat frame design. I did give the OTT flat frame an honest try for many years and did have fun and some nice accuracy. I just find the TTF pinch-hammer easier to shoot and I like the contoured grip on the Mini-T. With that said, I'll still periodically pick up a flat frame and have some fun.

My two favorite OTT frames still get lots of use. The Tianpeng is rigged up for BBs and the Lion Mouth is for when I want to shoot a traditional Chinese peghead frame. Both are pinch-hammer frames.

You could try my preferred designs, shooting style and ammo sizes and hate it all. That's fine. It's okay if we don't like the same thing. But you will never know until you try. I was pleasantly surprised. Bill Hays, the Mini-Taurus designer, does very well with this frame and other TTF designs.

The bottom pic is a shadowbox coffee table in my basement. All slingshots are fun!

View attachment 360466

View attachment 360467

View attachment 360468
I shoot instinctively, using my conscience mind, at 30 plus yards every day and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I shoot instinctively, using my conscience mind, at 30 plus yards every day and twice on Sunday.
You are a very gifted shooter. Unfortunately, I don't have that sort of natural talent. I practiced instinctive/intuitive from 1991 to around 2014 but struggled to even hit a large 2 pound coffee can at 30 yards. My 20 yard groups were around 6" in diameter which isn't even good enough for consistent pop can hits.

As soon as I switched to conscious aiming I was seeing accuracy improvements. It didn't take long before a pop can was a good target for 20 yards. Last summer I even managed to smack a 40mm spinner at 20 yards. For 50 yards I go with an 8" pie plate and 75 I have used the pie plate but did much better with an 18" metal garbage can lid (4/5 hits).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts