Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Southwest Archery Supply slingshot that uses tubes.

I bought it for the adjustable yoke. I have an abnormally short draw. I'm hoping the adjustable yoke will help compensate for that.

Anyway, the one I ordered comes with blue tubes (and handle). The blue cost a bit less than the same model yellow and the red slingshots. (sorry, but my funds are rather tight at the moment.)

The dealer/vendor does not specify the outer diameter of the tubes, inner diameter, or wall thickness. Also not mentioned is the manufacturer of the tube, or where it was made.

My question is: Does the color of the tube (or band, for that matter) affect the draw weight?

If the answer is "yes", does the blue tube have a higher or lower base draw weight than a yellow and/or red band?

Is there a difference in the speed the tube or band returns to its relaxed length based on or according to the color?

I am guessing this slingshot uses the same size tubes as the Marksman, Daisy, and Barnett slingshots that use tubes.

I'm also going to guess that I'll need to upgrade the tubes before I attempt to rid the neighborhood of them yummy rabbits and squirrels. (or at least make a dent in their population.)

What tubes would you recommend? Where would I find them online? .

I don't think using a slingshot against the yummy raccoons and possums would be ethical. I'll use my Diamond Razor Edge compound bow for them.

Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,104 Posts
Of 'those' commercial bands many guys swear by the red tapered (Think Marksman) ones.

Pocket Predator makes attachments to use flat bands which may be worth considering. Making your own band/tube sets would be ideal as you could tune them for the ammo you use - just a matter of finding a way to attach hem to your frame which works. Its also cheaper in the long term.

fact is most of those commercial tube style frames have very heavy rubber - so draw is harsh and in fact will most likely result in lower speeds.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I agree with mattwalt - get some flat bands on it. There are some decent tubes but flat bands are easier to customize for your ammo and draw lengthy. The Pocket Predator clamps are probably the easiest to use but there are other methods. I use the Chinese handcuff method.

·
Ray Rowden
2,993 Posts
From the color ranges you mention, I suspect these may be repackaged TruMark tubes. Before they went out of business, they offered tubes in yellow (standard), red (tapered) and black (Heavy). But that is just a guess.

Latex strengths have never been coded by color in a standardized way. Some manufacturers - notably Theratube/Theraband - used color coding within their lines. Nothing you can predict from the color without knowing the manufacturer, and sometimes not even then.

If you are happy with band you are already shooting, consider adapting that to your new frame. Flats and tubes have been used successfully on big-box wire-frame slingshots for a long time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.