Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making one out of plywood. The last one I had I made out of a tree Y back in the late 50s
What is best tube or band?
Over top or threw?
What size?
Best place to get supplies Bands and Ammo ect.?
Any other things I need to know.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I personnally prefer tubes but shoot flat bands quite often.Tubes will usually last longer than flat bands but they will have a heavier draw weight . Tubes tend to be a tad slower than flat bands and you can't customize them like you can flat bands. Tubes need less tools to make, just a pair of scissors and a pouch tying jig. For flat bands you will need a rotary cutter , straight edge, self healing mat and a pouch tying jig. You can buy the rotary cutter, self healing mat and the straight edge at Wal-Mart for about $20. It is pretty easy to make your on bands or you can buy them pre made .

Simple Shot and Pocket Predator both sell bands, pouches and other supplies. There are others and I am sure you will get more suggestions.

·
Ray Rowden
2,990 Posts
Heck yeah!
We are neck deep in great bands and tube latex right now. I can't tell you which is best, but here's something that works.
Go to Simple-Shot and order 2040 tubes and some of their microfiber pouches. As said above, this is an easy set to build that performs well. The draw weight is light set up as singles, and manageable set up as doubles.
Simple-Shot will have the stuff to you within a few days.
Start shooting with an over the top set up. It works.

·
Registered
850 Posts
1, Making one out of plywood. The last one I had I made out of a tree Y back in the late 50s
2. What is best tube or band?
3. Over top or threw?
4. What size?
5. Best place to get supplies Bands and Ammo ect.?
6. Any other things I need to know.
1. Plywood is good - tree forks are also a great way to build
2. I prefer flats to tubes - but advantages and disadvantages to both. Theraband Gold for me - but then - I am an old school kind of guy - shoot a recurve bow, swing a shepherd’s sling, and spin a vintage yo-yo
3. Over the top to start
4. Amazon (Theraband Gold), Walmart (rotary cutter, self-healing mat), Simple-Shot (band tying jig), Saunders Archery (Clod Poppers clay ammo)
5. Wear safety glasses; practice, practice, practice; have fun

·
Registered
850 Posts
1, Making one out of plywood. The last one I had I made out of a tree Y back in the late 50s
2. What is best tube or band?
3. Over top or threw?
4. What size?
5. Best place to get supplies Bands and Ammo ect.?
6. Any other things I need to know.
1. Plywood is good - tree forks are also a great way to build
2. I prefer flats to tubes - but advantages and disadvantages to both. Theraband Gold for me - but then - I am a classic kind of guy - shoot a recurve bow, swing a shepherd’s sling, and sping a vintage yo-yo
Over the top to start
Amazon (Theraband Gold), Walmart (rotary cutter, self-healing mat), Simple-Shot (band tying jig), Saunders Archery 1 (Clod Poppers ammo)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Henry the Hermit
I've seen a few of that kind.
That's kinda what I was asking is a straight threw easier to learn with than using over the top or around the side?
As far as using one or the other do you aim the same way with all of them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking on the tube I saw exercise tubes Is that the same as slingshot tubes?
I also saw some exercise bands that looked like cloth.
Is all the bands and tubes I see the same as I could buy from a slingshot supply sight?

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
Exercise bands were the best slingshot band material around not so long ago, and some still use them. Although not all are created equal. Theraband exercise bands are the most popular. That said, the slingshot specific latex you can buy from slingshot suppliers truly is better. Not twice as good, but measurably better. And for $20 or less you'll end up with enough latex for a year's worth of bands. Or, if you want to get pre-made bands a lot of suppliers sell those as well. A bit more expensive but still pretty cheap overall in the end. Simpleshot and Sling-tech are two a good US based suppliers that sell quality latex, ship fast, and have good service. And if you are willing to gamble a bit on quality, Amazon has many suppliers that will send you a bunch of pre-made bands at a great price, though the quality you get may vary. Many other good ones on the web as well though shipping costs and times may go up for those that are farther away- including some really good stuff from Chinese suppliers that can take a month or two to arrive.

If you want to get going quickly, I think several on the forum regularly use exercise bands available at local big box stores and they could probably tell you what to get and how to set it up. You could be shooting those by this afternoon if they are in stock.

You could also run through the sporting goods section of the same big box store and grab a daisy slingshot and some replacement tubes and be shooting by this afternoon for $20 or less. These won't be the pinnacle of performance but will shoot about as well as anything did 20 or 30 years ago. You could start getting some practice in while figuring out the rest of the updated latex world and waiting for orders to arrive. These frames have a bit of a cult following and several here modify them a bit to turn them into very nice shooters. These mods include getting better elastic on them and if this is interesting to you several members here can tell you how to get that done.

Cheers and good luck,

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Exercise tubes are not the same as slingshot tubes. The same goes for exercise bands. Some will work okay and some will not. It is best to find a slinghot supplier that you like and try various tubes and bands til you find what works for you. A slingshot supplier will have the same every time. If using exercise bands or tubes and find one you like will you be able to get the same the next time you need them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A lot of my problem is I'm not sure what bands to get as far as power or thickness of the band. I like powder but I don't want to have to strain to hold pulled position and yet down a nutter.

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
Just as a suggestion for a place to start I would rec 0.5 or 0.6 bands and 3/8" ammo, or 0.4 bands and 0.25" ammo for practice. And if you crave power, some 0.7 or 0.8 latex and 7/16" ammo. It is nice to have one light practice and one higher pier setup to go between.

I am certain others will have many fine suggestions, especially for tubes that last longer than flats and might thus be a good starting point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3rd Generation Genuine PRECISE latex band-Best and the most-people used flat slingshot band in Chin from Dan Kung.
Are they any good?

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
3rd Generation Genuine PRECISE latex band-Best and the most-people used flat slingshot band in Chin from Dan Kung.
Are they any good?

3rd gen Precise is a very respectable latex used by many here. I use it too. I love the 0.5 and 0.55 for 5/16" and 3/8". I think Pocket Predator sells some pre-made bands for Precise 3rd, maybe check their site if you are looking for pre-made bands. Ordering the latex rolls from Asia has been reliable although be patient with the shipping- it takes a while. Others here may know of domestic suppliers for Precise.

I'm not sure if it is just me or not but I am less excited about the thicker precise 3rd gen latex like the 0.7. For bigger ammo like 7/16" steel I like the Simpleshot 0.8 latex.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I picked up some 1/4 in and 38 in balls from walmart plus the yellow tube.
Some place I ran into a band and tube size to ammo size or weight chart?
My question is tube size to ammo size?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.