Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Getting into tubes lately. Love em!

However, I get unbearable handslaps whenever I use them in a looped configuration. I know, I know - "gotta match ammo to bands bro!" - but unless 180 grains (11.5 grams) is too light for double 2040, this statement holds no merit - in this case.

In fact I find that the only way to reduce hand slaps is to use single 1745 with 180 grain ammo (M10 hexnuts). I absolutely love this setup, but I would like some more speed. Looped 1842 would be nice, but it hurts just thinking about the slaps!

I use an Agile Toucan, a looped tube shooter from Dankung.

It might be the weather, so I ordered cold resistant 1842 and 1745 (not here yet).
It might be the pouch is to heavy, so I ordered kangaroo leather (waiting). In case anyone else has this problem I'll report back when it's all here.

Anything else that might cure this? I'd love to use loops without having to get a new frame.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Try:

- adjusting your tube length 1/4" to 3/8" shorter or longer.

- leaning forks forward or backward a bit when shooting

Sometimes a small adjustment can change the recoil timing so your fingers are no longer the target. I recently had to change a set of .40mm flatbands to .50mm on a frame because of handslaps. The same .40mm were fine on other frames.

·
Amateur
2,571 Posts
What is your draw length and band elongation factor? I would suggest starting by making small adjustments to your band length, as northerner mentioned.

Also, maybe try some psuedo tapers instead of full loops?

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've used 1842 for a long time to shoot .44 lead and 3/8 hex nuts. It's one of my favorites. I think the frame you are describing is a dankung type? If so, then my solution probably won't work. But I can tell you that I got rid of 95pct of all hand slap by changing the way I rig my bands. I was having a terrible problem. Didn't matter how heavy my ammo was. But once I started rigging my forks to be shot against the ties, almost all hand slap went away. Even with light ammo.

If you decide to give this a try, it will be much easier to do using two singles per side, rather than a a full loop as is usually done with small tubes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Northerner,
Thanks, I'll try that. I figure an active flip would help as well.
@Slingdude,
Full butterfly, 150 cm. Elongation about 5x, sometimes 5.5
@poekoelan,
Yeah, it's a dankung. I'm not 100% sure what 'against the ties' would mean? Sounds interesting. Do you shoot M8 with looped 1842? I was planning to use singles until I sort out the slaps.

I've been meaning to try a pseudo taper, but I figure more speed = harder slap.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've had the same problem with a frame or 2 over the years mate and i think you're right about the pouch, sometimes no matter how well you match the ammo with the bands you still get the slaps. I used to use thin leather pouches and after lots of changing bands to try eliminate slaps it donned on me that maybe the pouch was the problem, I changed to hth's microfiber pouches (not the tiny chinese ones) and now hand slaps are a thing of the past for me ;)

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Ray Rowden
2,462 Posts
I think your problem is related to your draw length. Expect more performance!

2040s may work well as full loops with your ammo drawn to 75 cm, but there is twice as much potential energy at 150 cm of draw - given the same 5x stretch.

So, available option include looped 2040s at 4x stretch (less energy and maybe less or no handslap), and tapered 1745s (perhaps adding 10 cm to the single tube length so you have 10 cm double and 20 cm of single relaxed length to start). I'm guessing 1842 psuedo-tapered with 12 cm double and 18 cm single sections might provide similar performance.

It is a process of trial and error, with more that one correct solution.

I hope you enjoy the effort and get the results you desire!

@Northerner,
@Slingdude,
@poekoelan,
Yeah, it's a dankung. I'm not 100% sure what 'against the ties' would mean? Sounds interesting. Do you shoot M8 with looped 1842? I was planning to use singles until I sort out the slaps.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
@Northerner,
@Slingdude,
@poekoelan,

Wow, that's a long draw length. You can get nice speed with less draw weight than us short-drawing shooters. Maybe try the 2040 with a pseudo-taper at 35/65 to 50/50 split. .You could also try a mild pseudo-taper with the 1745 (25/75). Please keep us updated.

As was mentioned,you can also try tying the tubes on like flatbands rather than using the fork holes. This would give the tubes a different flight over the forks. You can tie down singles and doubles the same.

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Yeah - I agree with Kawkan - think you're well overpowered for your drawlength... Go with pseudo's with 2040 or even singles. Also look at your pouch - get maybe a nice light microfibre one - or the roots when you get them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome input! Pseudo tapers it is!

I'll report back when I get the new tubes + roo pouches. Should be a week and a half or so.

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
I think your problem is related to your draw length. Expect more performance!
2040s may work well as full loops with your ammo drawn to 75 cm, but there is twice as much potential energy at 150 cm of draw - given the same 5x stretch.
So, available option include looped 2040s at 4x stretch (less energy and maybe less or no handslap), and tapered 1745s (perhaps adding 10 cm to the single tube length so you have 10 cm double and 20 cm of single relaxed length to start). I'm guessing 1842 psuedo-tapered with 12 cm double and 18 cm single sections might provide similar performance.
It is a process of trial and error, with more that one correct solution.
I hope you enjoy the effort and get the results you desire!

@Northerner,
@Slingdude,
@poekoelan,
Wow that's well said Ray. I could think it I just couldn't explain it. Awesome answer buddy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Diocletian, shooting against the ties would be like taking a slingshot that is banded up for over the top style. Now turn the frame around and shoot it, that is pulling against the ties. Of course you have to take some extra measures to make sure your bands don't slip. Been shooting this way for years, ever since I stumbled upon it. Almost zero hand slap no matter the weight of the ammo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting! Never heard of that before :)

What kinda band life can be expected from 1/3 pseudos? I use that stretchy Dankung ribbon material for tying everything, but I've heard good things about 1745 cuffs as well. I've heard anything from apx 200 to 500 shots, or more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Personally I gave up on pseudo tapers long time ago due to short band life. For me, as far as longevity goes, they were on par with tapered theraband but more difficult to make.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I've been using pseudo-tapers on my tuber frames for lots of years. I get short life if I only tie with cotton string. I get slippage if I only use cuffs. I find that cuffs with ties work best. Tube life is good but I haven't done an actual count or compared to flats. The tapers can be a bit frustrating to make. I always try to get the tube curl going the same way and it sometimes it takes a few tries.

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've been using pseudo-tapers on my tuber frames for lots of years. I get short life if I only tie with cotton string. I get slippage if I only use cuffs. I find that cuffs with ties work best. Tube life is good but I haven't done an actual count or compared to flats. The tapers can be a bit frustrating to make. I always try to get the tube curl going the same way and it sometimes it takes a few tries.
Clean rigs, Northerner!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts