Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running tests of my own about the strength and speed between theraband gold and dankung tubes after watching video's and listening to comments being made and simply cannot agree with, although I do not have a chrony I was not able to find any difference in speed although when theraband is fired their is a distinct sound but it is delayed because the bands are longer than the dankung making it seem faster.And on damage I fired five shots from each slingshot from a distance of 30 feet at a very thick detergent bottle using 9.5mm steel ammo, two shots fired from the 4 strand 1745*dankung split the bottle.I then turned the bottle around and fired five shots using 30mm tapered theraband gold doubled up so it also had four strands over the top and none split the bottle only dinted it.But I also find when shooting the Dankung if you just pull the bands back and take your time aiming the bands lose power.I have always used the push pull and flip style exaggerating the flip by using the arm not just the wrist this is a quick style of shooting but seems to get the maximum out of the Dankung.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I have been running tests of my own about the strength and speed between theraband gold and dankung tubes after watching video's and listening to comments being made and simply cannot agree with, although I do not have a chrony I was not able to find any difference in speed although when theraband is fired their is a distinct sound but it is delayed because the bands are longer than the dankung making it seem faster.And on damage I fired five shots from each slingshot from a distance of 30 feet at a very thick detergent bottle using 9.5mm steel ammo, two shots fired from the 4 strand 1745*dankung split the bottle.I then turned the bottle around and fired five shots using 30mm tapered theraband gold doubled up so it also had four strands over the top and none split the bottle only dinted it.But I also find when shooting the Dankung if you just pull the bands back and take your time aiming the bands lose power.I have always used the push pull and flip style exaggerating the flip by using the arm not just the wrist this is a quick style of shooting but seems to get the maximum out of the Dankung.
I also have tested the theraband rave and have found theraband to be wowfully lacking. Perhaps they should be limited to xercise use for which that is the truest intent. I compared theragold to various flat bands for penetration of the bottom of science diet dog food cans at ten feet and theraband gold will provide a very good ricochet so wear your safety glasses. But, the flat bands banged on right through the can. Therabands do not last very long at all. Saunders is very good xcept for the plastic pouch and Tex bands are xcellent. Gary Flatbands flatbands should get to my house this week and I will give them the dog food can test which is THE TEST for the Ultimite Bands at least for me. I give thereaband at any color a Ten Thumbs Down. They are not worth the money or the ottles of time it takes to cut them and bind them just to have them be a failure for you. They will not help you shoot better they will only eat up your time. I threw mine in the can where they belonged. A full 10 thumbs down baby, 10 thumbs down.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Shooting my various dankungs and rubber setups against my Hunter with Theraband Golds and Tex's Express Bands leave no doubt; the flatband sets hit way harder then the tubes. I think that is evident in my Shootout video as well.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theraband gold is in the bin as from now I certainly dont rate it,I definitely get more power and life from the Dankung tubes,

·
Registered
113 Posts
lol not sure if the first few posts are serious ?
Well , i just cant wait for jorge to get involved.
My medium power slingshots from Baumstamm are more powerfull than tubed slings , my Hunter and German walllnut are far more powerfull.
You should test your slingshots against plywood , the bottle test seems a bit ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I
I also have tested the theraband rave and have founheraband to be wowfully lacking. Perhaps they should be limited to xercise use for which that is the truest intent. I compared theragold to various flat bands for penetration of the bottom of science diet dog food cans at ten feet and theraband gold will provide a very good ricochet so wear your safety glasses. But, the flat bands banged on right through the can. Therabands do not last very long at all. Saunders is very good xcept for the plastic pouch and Tex bands are xcellent. Gary Flatbands flatbands should get to my house this week and I will give them the dog food can test which is THE TEST for the Ultimite Bands at least for me. I give thereaband at any color a Ten Thumbs Down. They are not worth the money or the ottles of time it takes to cut them and bind them just to have them be a failure for you. They will not help you shoot better they will only eat up your time. I threw mine in the can where they belonged. A full 10 thumbs down baby, 10 thumbs down.
[/quote]
I suggest you buy a Fish hunter , that wont disappoint

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have been testing some flatband too, but not thera ones. The best quality I was able to find on them since now is the elongation. Whent I drow flat rubbers it seems to me to hold a compound bow: some effort at the beginning and then the sensation of full controll bust still intact terrible power. Perfect with the butterfly style's shooting. Un fortunately nor of the stuff I tested (miscellaneous gyms pure latex bands) did last longly, with no relationship in numbers of layers and tapering. This is the main reason I whent back to tubing (on dankung I can change them on the fly). But I still miss the drawing smothness of flatbands.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol not sure if the first few posts are serious ?
Well , i just cant wait for jorge to get involved.
My medium power slingshots from Baumstamm are more powerfull than tubed slings , my Hunter and German walllnut are far more powerfull.
You should test your slingshots against plywood , the bottle test seems a bit ...
Thats your opinion and I have mine, it is very rare I use a hard target because of richochets, the bottle used is quite thick and very hard, hanging free and empty is much harder to penetrate than if it were filled with water standing against a wall and much harder than any hardboard used before, I have also used fencing wood and that also gets smashed very quickly.My first slingshot was a diablo pro the tubes supplied for that were not very powerful nor were others that I purchased for it although they were recommended for that slingshot,so having watched Jeorgs video's I decided to invest in theraband gold but was still not happy,so had a look on several different sites and decided on the Dankung and never looked back.Tubes that last can be changed in seconds very good power distance and accuracy.If you wish to send me one of your slingshots with flatband attatched I will certainly give it a go but I am not willing to spend good money on what I feel is going to be wasted.This again is only my opinion but I wanted to give you an Insight in to why I see it this way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree they can be changed quick , and last longer BUT they are not more powerfull than Thera bands.
I only have a small collection of Slingshots so Ii think Baumstamm would be better off giving you one , he has many great slingshots both with tubes and flatbands.
I think using plywood would better since it has an large even surface.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
It seems like I have said this before, but how about with music!! Flats in the morning, flats at the noon time, flats in the evening and ell night long. Flats in the winter, flats in the spring time, flats in the summer and all fall long. Flats on wire frames, flats on tree forks, flats on board cuts and all other forks. Of course now that is just my opinion and everybody has there own. -- Tex

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is an interesting and very controversial debate. I say controversial because I see both sides of each argument. At this time I only have 2040 spare tubing to play with. I have noticed various stronger setups that Chinese shooters use are quite comparable to my flats.

I will be getting 4 more different types of tubing so I'll keep playing around and show ya what I come up with. I plan to do different tests comparing tube/flats it's an interesting topic and a lively one too boot.

I did run out and do a quick video comparing today.
It's also on my blog. Watching the 44 Caliper SS is interesting, because clearly the Dankung looks to hit it harder. Now I've also done some other stuff different but I'll cover that in my blog..

I love em both, I use em both, but economically, the reason we are having this discussion is because tubing is more affordable and durable (longevity).

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Perhaps I missed something here. Comparing flat bands to tubular bands. Therabands are NOT flat bands so they cannot be compared due to its intended purpose for which it is to be used according to the manufacturer. I mean you can take two prophilactics and hook um up to a pouch and a set of prongs and you might rock and roll with some marbles but keep in mind its intended purpose which is a completely differing activity and both are fun but yet different activities. It is like using a spoon instead of a shovel to dig a hole for a fence post. But, if we compare tubes to flats then the flats by nature is simply more stable. I am by no means like the Master Sling Shootists that can draw on years of experience when giving an opinion and that being said my experience with tubes is that they do not produce consistant hits at least where the hit is desired. Flat bands do procduce consistant hits that is flat bands that are truly designed for slingshot usage. Now if you just want a slingshot to shot and you dont care about hitting anything and you like radical uncontrolable flying objects being hurled willy nilly then by all means use tubes. Tubes are powerful and they last but they are just not sutable for those who desire expertice. Oh yes and one more unsolicited opinion is to take teraband roll it up and put it in the trash can where it belongs also. Just one more point, thereaband and slingshots are diametrically opposed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Interesting points dgui. I also do not think Theraband is the be all end all. I enjoy shooting it sometimes. But really that's about it. I do love my tubes and have to disagree. I think I'm equally as accurate with my tubes as I am my flats.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Now if you just want a slingshot to shot and you dont care about hitting anything and you like radical uncontrolable flying objects being hurled willy nilly then by all means use tubes. Tubes are powerful and they last but they are just not sutable for those who desire expertice.
That's a pretty broad statement about tubes. Are you speaking only of the Dankungs or tubes in general? I have no experience with Dankung tubes, but my various Trumarks and my Crosman Cyclone all shoot very accurately with tubes.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Now if you just want a slingshot to shot and you dont care about hitting anything and you like radical uncontrolable flying objects being hurled willy nilly then by all means use tubes. Tubes are powerful and they last but they are just not sutable for those who desire expertice.
That's a pretty broad statement about tubes. Are you speaking only of the Dankungs or tubes in general? I have no experience with Dankung tubes, but my various Trumarks and my Crosman Cyclone all shoot very accurately with tubes.

[/quote]

Have tried all tubes typical american type and also the thin Dankung as I own two Chinease ss shooters and I put flat bands and they shoot stable with flats. Have observed all of Jorges videos and witnessed all of the powerful large diameter tube bands and the therabands and all seem to be close up shots and very impressive power demonstration. But, accuracy? If I can see someone shoot accurately consistantly with a theraband and the band does not blow apart within a few shots perhaps I will have a change in my opinion but I wont start using thereaband again. I even invested in a cutter so that I could cut perfect sections of theraband and I have multiple bands with various lengths to see what works and the conclution for me was that I was waisting time and money when I could instead buy reliable consistant flat bands that are already available and the key to good shooting is Practice and have fun with it instead of being on an endless quest. Tex be correct, Flats in the morning Flats in the evening and I like to include Flat titties and Flat behinds are good too. I love the Flats, all the Flats, give me Flats or give me death but, dont give me no tubes or therabands. Everyone has an opinion based on their experience and so is this one. Hope I have not offended anyone because that is not my intent.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think the power is not of elastic setup merely.
in my opinion,one have to take the steel ball and shooting style into consideration.
Some setup works very well with big steel ball such as 15mm diameter, but some other have more power(I mean initial velocity,not joule) with small stell ball such as 7,9,10 mm diameter.
For a skillful shooters, their shooting style also improve the power, at least the range.obviously.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i shoot most generic thera band stuff. i like the performance and the speed. i hit with good accurately consistantly with a theraband and the band does not blow apart within a few shots. i make between 2 and 600 shots then i shorten it and make further 2 ore 3 hundret then shorten it to make another 50 ore 150 shots. my bands are easy to pull but i have 110cm rawlenght and my bands are abt 23 cm long. most i shoot 12mm steel but i am also able to kill a coconut with .45 lead. this isn´t realy weak! sometimes i try extrem bandsets like the one on the german walnut inquisitiv have, but i´ve done abt 100 shots with and don´t know how many he has done, but i think it is quite good. so a normal bandset last abt 500 ore more shots. but if u don´t get enough power from therra band maybe it is to long 4 your drawlenght.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts