Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,843 Posts
I tried tubes once. Didn't like them at all. You don't need very much draw weight if you're drawing 65". With flatbands you can customize exactly what you want. I really like a taper that's pretty thin at the pouch.
There are more tube choices now than there was then. I think "KawKan" butterflies some tubes. .......

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also exclusively use tubes for butterfly not looped but single strands generally 1632 but i have also tried 2040 and have some 1636 i have yet to try but mostly because i am to lazy to cut my flatbands that long and sont want to waste the latex if i dont like it, i prefer flats so my excess tube material is slightly more expendable, i also don't shoot butterfly all the time so it's nice to go back and forth... i do happen to have some .5 BSB that hasn't got cut in a while and now that i think about it might make for a good butterfly setup

·
Ray Rowden
3,118 Posts
The length of your draw is going to be a big factor in matching tubes to ammo. For clay ammo, single tubes at butterfly length (even the 1030s) will have plenty of speed. If you want to use full looped butterfly bands for clay, cut them long - so you're stretching 3.5 to 4 times the relaxed length to start. Check the performance vs. slap and adjust from there.

·
Premium Member
10,843 Posts
hey Ibojoe do you have any recommendations on tapers for butterfly flats?
I've worked out my tapers for a 65" draw and 7/16 steel. 3/4 to a 1/2 13" active out of .55 - .60 elastic. This is about all I can handle anymore but it is powerful and deadly. One shot to the nogin with .44 lead for this destructive sucker.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey Ibojoe do you have any recommendations on tapers for butterfly flats?
I've worked out my tapers for a 65" draw and 7/16 steel. 3/4 to a 1/2 13" active out of .55 - .60 elastic. This is about all I can handle anymore but it is powerful and deadly. One shot to the nogin with .44 lead for this destructive sucker.
Thanks for sharing the specs!
Now you got me thinking about finding a frame with 3/4" wide forktips

BTW what frame is in the photo? Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
So i just cut my first set of full butterfly flats with my BSB.5 and i decided to stick with my usual taper and about an 1 1/2" longer than my wingspan so the Taper is 3/4"-1/2" and it is THUMPING out my 3/8" steelies i cut a can in like 9 shots! Granted i was only 8-9 meters away but still the aiming is so much easier with flats as opposed to tubes IMO but I'm a flats over tubes kinda guy anyway though i live my tubes too, also zinging 3/8" clays pretty good too though there is just barely enough for no hand slap I'll probly trim an 1" give or take a hair and then we'll really be shooting!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.