Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while but I finally got some time to putter around in my "shop", aka cluttered garage. I was happy to get some time to get back to a few projects that have been hanging for far too long.

One was trying some turquoise inlay that always looks so good when @SLING-N-SHOT puts them up. Darrell was very kind and helpful with hints and support when I asked. So I gave it a shot with a conus I made at the end of the summer. It had a nice jagged crack just begging for some of that beautiful deep blue fill.

I think it looks pretty cool for a first run at it. Someday I'll do a pro job on it like Darrell does- I really love the way those turn out.

I have a mesquite that needs to get trimmed way back sometime soon, so maybe I'll get to have another run at this.

Dress Sleeve Musical instrument Wood Collar

Musical instrument Dress Human body Sleeve Wood

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the nice words. On the one hand, it did turn out pretty cool. On the other, a lot to figure out to make this look really great. After having a run at it myself I have a deeper appreciation for Darrell's beautiful works with this. Like a lot of stuff here, the people who are really good at it make it look easy and giving it a try for myself makes me appreciate how much there is to the getting things right.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice conus fella how it shoot
I have been shooting this one butterfly every now and then. I like the conus design and am looking forward to trying a few more, and practicing a lot more with butterfly.

And God bless the magic of video editing that can turn a series of twelve or so mediocre shots into a short vid that makes it look like I can sort of shoot butterfly.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,445 Posts
That turned out beautiful my friend, great job on the inlay and glad I could help with some pointers on that.

I actually like the chunkier bits inlaid better like you did as opposed to the finer granules I use…..it gives it a really cool visual appeal imho.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but once you get the bulk of the inlay ground down to almost flush with the wood surface, that last little bit of CA glue film can be easily removed by scraping over the top of it with a box cutter / razor blade, then it’ll sand much cleaner and easier for you.

Darrell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
That turned out beautiful my friend, great job on the inlay and glad I could help with some pointers on that.

I actually like the chunkier bits inlaid better like you did as opposed to the finer granules I use…..it gives it a really cool visual appeal imho.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but once you get the bulk of the inlay ground down to almost flush with the wood surface, that last little bit of CA glue film can be easily removed by scraping over the top of it with a box cutter / razor blade, then it’ll sand much cleaner and easier for you.

Darrell

Just learned a quick tip for a CA fix I recently made just there. Minus the turquoise. 👍

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool - your conus has enough gap that it might be able to be shot normal, not like a PFS - which way do you shoot it - conventional or like a PFS ?

I shoot it like a PFS. The gap is there, but I dont trust myself to hit it. Not every time anyways.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Darrell

Thanks Darrell. I do love the look but have a ways to go to get good at it.

I tried a couple of things, incliding turquoise dust in resin but that just made a homogenous blue fill without the character if the chunky bits. I didn't care for that as much. I ended up using that around some small granular chunks. When I try it again I think I will look for smaller granules and back off the powder in the resin.

I also had some of the chunks turn white when sanding them down. I am thinking they may go back to blue with polishing but didn't try that and not sure if I am right on it.

It was fun to have a go at it and I look forward to getting more familiar with and better at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts