Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was discussed in older threads about twisting the pouch. I am talking only twisting, not tweaking.
Personally I twist 90°, but I am wondering, what are the possible things that can go wrong when we twist?
With the pouch not twisted, I feel that a mistakd in pouch hold, an unwanted tweak, would cause either a low or a high shot. With the pouch twisted, would the same mistake cause a left/right deviation instead?
If my guess is right, then it follows that a straight hold is preferable, as it reduces the possibility of a windage error, and elevation is very easy to get right anyway.
So, is my logic correct?
If it is, I may have to return to no twist.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Or you could try harder to hold the pouch so that the ammo points where you want it to go...
I shot no twist today, and MJ, yep, you are right, only when I did what you suggested my problem got solved lol.
Sometimes it's the small things ????

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yup, you can speed bump the shot right at your hand if you're not careful in the release while twisting the pouch. I always tweak a little when I twist, just to make sure I always error on the side of not shooting myself. :rofl:

If you want a bump in consistency try anchoring at the front of your cheek. Thumb knuckle to the cheek bone works best for me. That should put the pouch ties in your peripheral. Don't twist, line the bands up from the pouch to the fork.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I have to tweak... twisting alone gives me fork hits. Many of the best pfs slingers say they only twist. I am not there... I want to be... but for now I use tge advise of Mr. Charles Morgan.
My issue may be my frozen left wrist, my frames hand. I also am able to mildly tilt my frames due to M. Mo's Phatty assistive technology. Big fan of both... for full disclosure.
Dgui, says twist only and I have seen few that are that fast and accurate... so maybe in 10,000 more shots I will learn the way.

Good luck, Skropi... I feel like we very similar in our approach to many things. Thank you for posting all the things I am asking myself as well.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The twist's effect on accuracy hasn't really been analysed to determine whether it is beneficial or harmful. Some swear by it, others swear against it. I personally fall into the camp that believes in the fewest variables resulting in the greatest accuracy. A twisted pouch results in another factor that might determine where the ammo might go, another possibility for inconsistency.

That said, I twist. My anchor point and shooting method result in my pouch resting 90° to the slingshot at my anchor. I'm too comfortable with my technique to bother trying to change it, and there are enough top-tier shooters using a slight pouch twist to suggest that any accuracy difference is negligible.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually shoot both ways the same.... Damn it, I can't seem to find a preference, I shoot ttf and ott the same, twist no twist, the same, long draw Vs short draw.....*almost* the same....
You know what, I will take a video of me shooting in various ways, and choose the most stylish....

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Or you could try harder to hold the pouch so that the ammo points where you want it to go...
Very Zen . You may want to bring it to the Online Dojo in more detail . An element of the mental aspect . :thumbsup:
I just figure that working on a proper release is energy better spent than trying to get the error that you like best :lol:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very Zen . You may want to bring it to the Online Dojo in more detail . An element of the mental aspect . :thumbsup:
I just figure that working on a proper release is energy better spent than trying to get the error that you like best :lol:
LOOOOOOOL true!!!! Today's practice made me realize this! Still, for me, elevation is easier to get than windage, so I am trying to find a way to solve it. It isn't the release though, it's the pouch hold, and I am working to solve it now!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went to the twist a few weeks ago and I've seen a jump in consistent accuracy. I have very few bad misses since the change - a bad miss meaning more than an inch or two at 10 meters. The difference for me is that I thing I get a better pouch relief holding the pouch vertically. I hold at the corner of my mouth, btw. If I'm very careful with my "no twist" hold, I can't tell any difference in accuracy between the two. It's just easier for me to not make a pouch mistake when I twist.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
@ skropi, others are talking PFS, you didn't specify pfs or not.

The twist is irrelevent for errors with non pfs, in my opinion. Errors in accuracy are the human part of the equation provided you are shooting round ammo. IE., Not something like irregular shape and weight ammo.

Even if the twist did alter the flight and the flight was essentially the same path, that person would naturally adjust for what is happening.

It is basically the same as one person shooting regularly at 230 fps and someone shooting at 185 pfs.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's less about right or wrong and more about consistent and inconsistent. Find whatever seems to work best for you and focus on doing it the same every time. Thinking about it too much will give you the yips.

Reactions: Tag and skropi

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Rayshot
You are right, I am talking conventional frames. To be frank both ways are the same, when you do make sure to point the pouch to the target. My issue was poor wrist form, and now that I am working to solve it, my consistency went way up, no matter if I twist or not. I did choose not to twist though!

·
Mojave Mo
5,166 Posts
Do ya'll recall a couple of videos by a certain shooter/maker shown here on the forum? He doesn't twist or tweak anything. His ammo is bigger than the pouch and he holds the ammo and doesn't pinch the pouch. No dip, dive, or duck of the ammo because that sphere is held with equatension on a smooth surface. Now point that ball and let er' go.
I've not shot like this....yet. Anyone else.....????

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
Do ya'll recall a couple of videos by a certain shooter/maker shown here on the forum? He doesn't twist or tweak anything. His ammo is bigger than the pouch and he holds the ammo and doesn't pinch the pouch. No dip, dive, or duck of the ammo because that sphere is held with equatension on a smooth surface. Now point that ball and let er' go.
I've not shot like this....yet. Anyone else.....????

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sounds like Joey's video, I've heard this referred to as "hai" style, gripping the ammo itself rather than the pouch. Helpful for speed shooting since you don't need to readjust your grip before release.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I shoot with a sideways frame and a 90* twist to the pouch. I like using my thumb knuckle to anchor on my ear and twisting allows this to happen. This past summer I shot from 15 to 75 yards and didn't notice any problems with twisting.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, I've spent so much energy making sure my release is decent, that I paid no attention to the most basic....pointing the pouch to the target. It's yet another hurdle to overcome in my quest, and I expect many more will follow :) I can hardly wait!
One reason this sport is so hard, is the lack of proper tuition. I mean, if someone knowledgeable was by my side, he would correct me in two seconds, while now everyone, even me, has to second guess. Oh well, thank god we have this forum!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have not shot my ott for a few months,I put some dents in my forks.not happy,so I tried a different slingshot and the same thing.I did not ever have this happen in all my years of shooting.so now I twist. 90degs.and no fork his.but I’m not as good as I remember!maybe my memories are just kind.I don’t want to keep denting my wood sling shots.I hope with time I’ll be as great as I remember. or not

·
Registered
35 Posts
By the way the sling shot in my picture is one that my friend Smitty made for me.I have gone back to this one!Thanks Smitty.Hope your still on this Forum with us?...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts