Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been quite a few ideas posted concerning catch boxes or backstops for slingshot shooting. The topic seems to reappear with some regularity. I thought I would share a couple of ideas that I have been using for some time. Rather than write up a long description and take a bunch of photos, I thought I would make a video about them since the weather is so lousy today. I use these for indoor shooting, as well as outdoor shooting, as both are quite portable.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Registered
596 Posts
Very good video! You were right to do video over a photo and a description. On another topic...I like that banjo! :) my wife gave me a Goodtime from Deering for last Christmas!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks, Charles. I was going to made a few for some slingshot shooting I'll be doing with a youth group and that second one looks like exactly what I need.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Thank you, Charles. That was a very informative video. I have been using one that pawpawsailor sent me, when I use one...

It's just a rod with a sailcloth pocket hanging from it with a cord to stake off the front end. I call it the Sail Catcher........ in the Rye.

When I get to making a new one I will certainly give yours a go.

I had a large poodle (84lbs) named Captain. Your dog is big too. Is it all poodle?

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind comments, guys. My current preference is for the clam shell design, because it is so easy to set up, move, and store. And if you wanted it all to go into the rough tote box, you would just have to cut those dowels to length and use a pvc connector to reassemble them.

As for the banjo ... well, it is a monument to my musical inability. I found it cheap at an auction because it had no bridge nor strings. But those deficiencies were easily remedied. I took a few lessons on it, but just did not click. I played mando-cello for the Victoria Mandolin Orchestra for about 10 years, but was always lousy. Now I play sub-bass recorder with a few friends.

Zulus is 100% registered Airedale, but he is much bigger than the breed standard. The standard calls for males to be 75 pounds maximum, and he weighs 110-115 pounds. His shoulder comes to the top of your dining room table. I got him at 6 weeks of age from a breeder in Washington State who has been breeding them for years for predator control on the prairies ... bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, wild hogs. Zulu loves people and little dogs, but anything half his size or larger and he wants to go for it. He is a great pal.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Zulus is a good looking dog. Are they "hypoallergenic" like the poodle is purported to be?

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zulus is a good looking dog. Are they "hypoallergenic" like the poodle is purported to be?
I do not believe he is hypollergenic. He sheds like crazy. And give how hairy the two of us are, my house has been declared a national dust bunny preserve!

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Great vid, Charles! I love your Clamshell design. It never occurred to me to use 3 legs, I'm slow like that. Great dog, too!

·
Resigned
363 Posts
Really, really appreciate these videos. I like your sandwich board design idea, utilizing both PVC and wooden dowel. I had not considered that the PVC might shatter when hit. More good points for me to keep in mind. Thank you!

I THINK I've decided I'm going to need two different types. (1) A portable PVC unit for indoors/backyard use. (2) I'm also very much enchanted with PawPawSailor's post regarding the Sunbrella one he designed. I need something very lightweight, that I can take down, roll up quickly and tuck into a backpack. And every ounce counts of course when you're already carrying food, shelter and misc gear. The only problem is hanging it and stabilizing it. No way am I letting projectiles anywhere near my trekking poles :)

Sooo... I'm still thinking about all that so that I'm not wasting time and resources. In fact, I dreamed about slingshots last night. This is turning out to be serious stuff for me--apparently. I'm not right in the head!

LOVE THAT DOG! The banjo too. My granddad is a banjo man.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
They use the large size Airedales in southwest USA when hunting mountain lions. They are run with the hounds and are one of the most fierce and brave dogs there is. It is one of my favorite breeds. They are extremely loyal and will defend a family to the death. They are also a great kids dog. Another breed that I like is a Wire Haired Fox Terrier. Here is a picture of mine with my kids about 50 years ago. -- Tex

Attachments

Reactions: Cass

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Video was surely the way to go, Charles. I might give the sandwich board a go. Main thing I learned is that you can shatter the pvc with the errant shots -- puts a few of my plans to rest. Thanks for posting this.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Well done! I'll be making trip to the local diy center. And it's good to hear the voice that goes with the face/name.

Aren't those terriers the bestest? At one time we had 3 wft's living with us. That was a bit too much.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once again, guys, thanks for all the kind comments. I did want to say a word or two about backstop material. I like to shoot with what I hunt with. And these days I hunt with my cylindrical hunting slugs.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/13778-cast-hunting-ammo-with-simple-wooden-mold/

These things tumble in flight, which does not affect their accuracy at slingshot ranges. But because of their shape, they always hit with an edge ... that is a good thing for shooting game, but it is tough on backstops. That heavy denim canvas stands up very well to these slugs. But T shirts, cotton work shirts, etc. are quickly shredded by them. However, the lighter material works well for ball ammo, as it does not cut the fabric. So if you are going to be shooting those hunting slugs, you need to be sure to hang at leas 2 shirts and be prepared to change the shirt in front fairly often.

Tex, I really like fox terriers too. My preference is for larger dogs, but I often thought that if I had to move into a condo where large dogs are not permitted, then I would go for a fox terrier.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I like the lightweight design of these catch boxes. I might try some old broom sticks and mop handles to make the frame. The PVC junctions are a great idea.

My indoor trap is currently a couple of t-shirts stapled to the front of an old table in my basement. Behind the t-shirts I have an old leather skirt that my wife gave me. You can sometimes get old leather skirts or jackets from the restores (Sally Ann, Good Will, etc). They work great for the last layer.

Thanks,

Northerner

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the lightweight design of these catch boxes. I might try some old broom sticks and mop handles to make the frame. The PVC junctions are a great idea.

My indoor trap is currently a couple of t-shirts stapled to the front of an old table in my basement. Behind the t-shirts I have an old leather skirt that my wife gave me. You can sometimes get old leather skirts or jackets from the restores (Sally Ann, Good Will, etc). They work great for the last layer.

Thanks,

Northerner
Having some tough material behind the lighter weight stuff is always a good safety precaution.

If you can get broomsticks or mop handles that are large enough diameter, they should work fine for the frame. The ones I have are a bit too small for 3/4 inch pvc pipe fittings. But it is worthwhile checking your local building supply store to see if there is a size of fittings that would work well with the doweling you have on hand.

I just may have to give that sandwich board style one a try Charles.

Thanks so much for the video.
That sandwich board style is nice and light to move and to store. I like it a lot.

Cheers ...... Charles

1 - 20 of 24 Posts