Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
I love walnut!!! Really nice Baumstamm!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank u mates! to get this lustre, i do it the old fashioned way.first i pollish the catty then i let the catty soak the line seed oil in for longer time, then i rub it of and the next morning i do the same, but u need only 10 minutes ore half a houre, then rub it off. i do this the whole week long. then one month long 1 layer a week. this gett a fine surface. don´t let the oil to long on the catty! after a month u only need one layer a month one year long, after this year u only need one layer a year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thank u mates! to get this lustre, i do it the old fashioned way.first i pollish the catty then i let the catty soak the line seed oil in for longer time, then i rub it of and the next morning i do the same, but u need only 10 minutes ore half a houre, then rub it off. i do this the whole week long. then one month long 1 layer a week. this gett a fine surface. don´t let the oil to long on the catty! after a month u only need one layer a month one year long, after this year u only need one layer a year.
hehe, i think ill stick with helsman! but great work, and beautiful wood!

·
Registered
54 Posts
hehe, i think ill stick with helsman! but great work, and beautiful wood!

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
20 coats of Linseed Oil?????? Talk about sealing! Great job Harald! Love the Walnut and the way you sealed them-(Especially the one on the left!) Flatband

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can show u the difference, the smaler catty is abt half a jear with lots of layers, the biger here is after the second layerafter 6 layers after 8 layer and this is after a month after 3 ore 4 layers the wood will not more soak in the oil, but it seams to me that u get more lustre. the other layers are only that i rubb them with cloth with oil in.

·
Registered
737 Posts
They are awesome! I just put my slingshots into lineseed oil for 2 days like 9gramm.

Do you think that just "layer" them is better? Or is just the layer on the wood thicker?

Friedrich

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
9 grams method is good, the oil have enough time to soak in deeply. but it seems to me that the surface of the wood getting better and more lustre. so the only thing u have to do is to rub them with a little oil and old cloth from time to time, u will see the difference. but take care, it is not a good idea to let a thick layer of lin seed oil dry on the catty, u will gett a uggly surface also take care of your bands, line seed oil (leinöl firniss) kill the bands! that is dangerous on the fork!!!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
can show u the difference, the smaler catty is abt half a jear with lots of layers, the biger here is after the second layerafter 6 layers after 8 layer and this is after a month after 3 ore 4 layers the wood will not more soak in the oil, but it seams to me that u get more lustre. the other layers are only that i rubb them with cloth with oil in.
Oil finishes...
Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year for life.
I've yet to try the oil soak method because the previous sentence has worked for me without fail. There is always that one special circumstance <cough cocobolo cough flatband> that the soak in oil may be of benefit. Great Catty's Baumstamm- I admire your work very much (and you are darned good shooter too! )

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am trying oiling right now! How do you get it to stop haveing that fat surface that leave stains on your hands and clothes and every where? Or does that just stop by using shooting it allot?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.