Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waited from January 29 until today to receive my new Dankung Firefox. Longest wait so far for me, but now that it is here, worth it. I've been shooting a natural fork that I made a few days ago and thought I would include it in the picture too. I'm not too sure about the way the pouch is attached on the Dankung, with slip on tube, so I added my own to be sure.
The natural fork I made from some tree limbs I had to trim around the house. I have no clue what kind of wood it is either. There was no sign of a grain in the wood, so I rubbed shoe polish on it to show the grain and then put a little wax on it. I would really like to try this fork with some flat band rubber, but for now I am just shooting it with Trumark RR-T's. When it warms up a little I will try the flats.

Attachments

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment Ray. I was wondering what I did to tick everyone off. I hope I haven't.
The grain wasn't even visible until I rubbed the wood with black shoe polish. After it dries a while I may work on it a little more.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi, smitty!

That perfect natural looks like it is machine-made!
I mean, I know you worked it, but the basic shape is flawless!

I'm still having too much fun checking out all the terrific "stateside" made cattys first, and haven't been bitten by the Euro or Asian styles "bug" yet. But I will in time -- Oh, I'm sure of that!

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Thwupp, there were quite a few knife strokes done to get it like it is.

I really like any kind of slingshot, no matter where it is made. Heck, I even like some of the ones I made!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Regarding the "new wave" of slingshot styles: I don't know. I think it's just me. I enjoy the exotic woods and 1950's and 60's retro looking cattys. It may be just a case of not being able to "teach new tricks" to this old dog?! I mean, some of the stuff that the kids turn out is pretty futuristic-looking, eh? And no doubt about it -- change is inevitable and healthy! ...But like somebody posted the other day -- the beauty of slingies is in their classic simplicity -- something like that...

Anyway, I'm having enough trouble learning to shoot well with basic cattys, so for me to try and use an offshore wizz-bang slingshot at this stage of my learning would be going from the sublime to the ridiculous?!

Oh, and your "Classic Hunters" are the perfect example of that excellent styling that I'm talking about! (I don't have to process info in my brain to figure out that it's a slingshot!)

·
2,153 Posts
Thanks Jeff and Thwupp! That is what I truly like in a slingshot too. Simple form and function with classic lines and beautiful hardwoods. I plan on making some slingshots out of some eye-catching hardwoods here soon. Laminated for extra strength... some dark, some light, smooth and simple.
Geko recently made a very cool frame out of ebony that has my interest in something along the same design lines, except with wider forks, because of my lesser amount of skill. I want to work with my idea of his design and see if I can come close to his. His slingshot is so fine, he must have spent hours on the finish. The wider forks might spoil the design, so I want to make a few patterns first.

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just now feeling much better. All that is left is some of the yuck cough and a little weak, but way better than a week ago! Thanks for asking Jt !
Now though, I want to go find some tacks and stuff for my natural fork like Chief did on one of his latest, an apple fork. I need to start taking more time to come up with cooler shooters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts