Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Hey Dan,
I've tried it in the past, but had some problems with tear out, so I gave up on it. Maybe I had some old rubber.
I'll try it again and let you know my findings.
I agree that it's a great idea if it lasts!!!

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
That's good to know...making a set right now..... I thought it would especially be a great way to make the Rough-N-Ready band sets.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
OK, so here is a set made up on an oldie (but goodie) pouch. It's raining here today but I took it out and shot for quite a while with no problems!!!
Just to see I made these up with some simple "Crepe" rubber bands which can be prone to abrasion a little more IMHO. My experiments a couple years back must have indeed been with bad rubber as I made them the same today with no issues. I had a stash of old rubber back then. And because I didn't have a business there was no turn over. The summer heat can be brutal here on rubber even if kept out of the sunlight. I've since learned to store it in the house not in the shop.
I put #6 sized holes in the bands with a standard leather punch. I used hemostats and water (spit)
to ease the cinch up process on the pouch. I now think this is a viable way, especially for the "hobbyist," to make bands without a band stretcher. Simple... forceps, scissors, and hole punch/ heated nail are all that's needed.

I think as for me personally, I can tie bands as fast or faster with the special tying/ stretcher jig I designed and made for the business, but it's always nice to know and have alternate ways of doing things. This requires no tying material, and that alone is a great added bonus!!

Nice post Dan!!! Two thumbs up Mate!!!! I recommend that everyone give it a try!!!

Perry ~ A+ Slingshots

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
For those of us who arent leather workers, what size hole is a #6 leather punch ?
Darb, It appears to be a 3/32" hole (2.38mm) on my drill gauge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.