Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I'd like to celebrate my 2,000th post with something memorable.

I have stumbled upon a new way of attaching bands to the pouch. It derives from the way tubular bands are attached.

All you do is:

(1) Make the end like this, with a tiny hole punched or burned through with a hot wire. Ideally the end should be rounded, but it's not critical. For thin elastic, you might double the end over before making the hole.

(2) Pull the end through the pouch hole.

(3) Pull the end of the band through the band hole and tighten up. I use a hemostat, but it can be done without.

This method has several advantages over the traditional method of tying bands on with string or elastic.

• It's simple, cheap and fast to tie. There's no string or elastic needed.
  • It's long lasting. There's no chaffing of string on band.
  • It's secure. The band has to tear before it gives.
  • It's high performance. It's lighter by far than any other method of attachment. It will significantly improve the velocity of light projectiles.
  • It's accurate. Maybe not more accurate than a well tied pouch by a traditional method, but it's easy to be consistent with the length and balance.

FREE TO COPY.
I make no claim of owning this idea. I hope this design catches on and helps a lot of people. Spread the word. I call this the Type-Z attachment method.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, I forgot to mention that I have folded the band in half as I pulled the last bit through. It isn't necessary, but it helps the bands to lie flat while the pouch is still vertical (see the picture).

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tapered bands are 12mm wide at the hole. The hole is at an equal 6mm (1/4") from the sides and end. The end isn't under much tension; the sides are under more tension. It could be closer to the end, but the weight saving is negligible. Play around and see what works best for you.

It works for double strand bands too. I expect the results to be comparable to Fastbands, though maybe not quite as long lasting. Compared to Fastbands, they are a lot less wasteful as I can cut single lengths and simple tapers.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Dan,
I've tried it in the past, but had some problems with tear out, so I gave up on it. Maybe I had some old rubber.
I'll try it again and let you know my findings.
I agree that it's a great idea if it lasts!!!
It is possible to do this badly. Too large a hole, or too much tension compared to the strength of the bit that goes around the back would make it stretch and tear. My first set went wrong because I had the hole too small. I have been shooting these 230mm x18mm x2mm tapers and there's no wear, nor sign of the hole stretching beyond where it should be.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'll make up a dozen sets as free test samples if people want to see how durable mine a are. Start a list below like this:

1 joe bloggs
2 john doe
3 wotshisname

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm punching mine. Burning seems to work, but I don't 100% trust it.

The only proper test is lots of people shooting it as they would any other bands. I certainly wouldn't stretch it to 500% elongation and leave it overnight, stick it in the oven, dip it in acid. These are not valid tests.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Its just a piece of 17/45 tube...

Just fyi, it slips out after a night of abuse, not during tho.
I'm going to try a 1cm long piece and tie with my normal rope over it, should hold it nicely without damaging the band itself
I tried that too. The theory was the same. I used them in double bands that are folded at the pouch, but they didn't really do anything at all. You need to tie rubber tightly around them. You may as well use tape.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Let's terminate the list there. People have had plenty of time to sign on. I've done 9 so would those 9 people above PM me an address to send it to?

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Marfi, Imre, foreigner. I have your addresses and will ship shortly. Louis, I will ship to London

NoSugarRob, Dragonmaster, PandaMan, ukslingshots, Gib, last call, your bands are made. PM me where to send them or I'll shoot them myself.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
At 8g+ it would rather be pushing the envelope. These bands are roughly half the power of Fastbands and for those 9g is really zippy, about perfect. So 4g (.375 steel) would be about right considering the pouch is the same weight. The .50 would feel slow. Anyway, the I'm not selling these bands, offering them in trade or even representing that they are any good. I just want to put them in several people's hands so they can see how they look and decide if they work as an alternative to tying. Personally I will continue with the elaborate tying that I use on the Fastbands, because I have a heap of experimental data and customer feedback on them and I know that they last as long as can ever be expected from flatbands.

However, some people may find the timesaving of punching vs tying to be worthwhile. That's why industry went with this method for attaching tubes and why you rarely see production slingshot pouched attached any other way.

Admittedly, the attachment is not as strong as they would be if they were tubes. Tubes form a collar and are thicker. For bands it becomes very critical that the hole is the right size (about 1.5mm for Thera-band Gold) and totally without ragged edges. The best way I have found to make the hole is with a leather punch or by a hot 1.5mm needle.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Gib's sent too. I sent an unusual set with double punched bands.

The last hold out is ukslingshots. If he doesn't respond, I'll ship to aamj50 who's waiting in reserve.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Dan, Thank you for sharing and supplying me a sample of this type of pouch attachment. I was very please with the findings as I tested this out. I shot 3/8 steels and was able to get 975 shots before any wear and tear at the pouch attachments. It would still be able to shoot another 80 shots easy before breaking, but I didn't want to chance a 3/8th steely ricocheting around the room. As you can see in the photos there were no signs of tear on the band where the hole was made for the attachment. The wear occurred where there was rupture. Thanks again for sharing this. I will definitely use this attachment myself.
Wow, that's awesome! Remember also that I made these bands out of strips of elastic that I had rejected due to flaws in the latex from when I was making a run of Fastbands.

The feedback we've seen posted shows that the attachment is potentially on a par with most other attachment methods - as long as it's done really well. If the hole does go, the bands can be trimmed and you only lose about 5mm in length.

I don't think this is the best way. I still favour tying with elastic ties for long life, but if these are not far behind, I guess it means the Type-Z can be used for certain applications like home builds, short term bands and budget slingshots.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.