Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

I will be trying this when my bandset I got from Tex breaks, if it ever does.

·
Slingshots Canada
708 Posts
1 lucifer93
2 NoSugarRob please. im totaly gonna copy em in every way
3. Dragonmaster I wont copy
4.? PandaMan?
5. foreigner
6. ukslingshots
7.Brooklyn00003
8. redcard
9. Gib

This should be neat! Great idea

·
Super Moderator
7,132 Posts
This "Hole in pouch" method has been around for many years. The famous "Scope Shot" slingshot from the 60's used it and I shot many shots out of their bands with good lasting qualities too. The trick to that method is a small well cut hole. A die cut hole such as a very sharp leather punch would do the trick. Some people used to burn a hole in them like they do in tubes. I never really did good with that method. You would think the band strength would be compromised with hole in it-not so when done properly. There is a drawback though, pouch curl will definitely be had when using this style attachment. Flatband

·
Registered
174 Posts

So I tried it, I stretched it 50 times, put it in 2 vices, stretching 500% on the rubber overnight.
It seemed to hold up, but after 27 streches, It tore out.

I abused it, It broke, its to expect, but it surpassed my expectations

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm punching mine. Burning seems to work, but I don't 100% trust it.

The only proper test is lots of people shooting it as they would any other bands. I certainly wouldn't stretch it to 500% elongation and leave it overnight, stick it in the oven, dip it in acid. These are not valid tests.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts

So I tried it, I stretched it 50 times, put it in 2 vices, stretching 500% on the rubber overnight.
It seemed to hold up, but after 27 streches, It tore out.

I abused it, It broke, its to expect, but it surpassed my expectations
Demios: what's that other attachment on the far side of the pouch ? It's hard to tell, but it looks like some sort of clip.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Demios: what's that other attachment on the far side of the pouch ? It's hard to tell, but it looks like some sort of clip.
Its just a piece of 17/45 tube...

Just fyi, it slips out after a night of abuse, not during tho.
I'm going to try a 1cm long piece and tie with my normal rope over it, should hold it nicely without damaging the band itself

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Its just a piece of 17/45 tube...

Just fyi, it slips out after a night of abuse, not during tho.
I'm going to try a 1cm long piece and tie with my normal rope over it, should hold it nicely without damaging the band itself
I tried that too. The theory was the same. I used them in double bands that are folded at the pouch, but they didn't really do anything at all. You need to tie rubber tightly around them. You may as well use tape.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Let's terminate the list there. People have had plenty of time to sign on. I've done 9 so would those 9 people above PM me an address to send it to?

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Marfi, Imre, foreigner. I have your addresses and will ship shortly. Louis, I will ship to London

NoSugarRob, Dragonmaster, PandaMan, ukslingshots, Gib, last call, your bands are made. PM me where to send them or I'll shoot them myself.

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
807 Posts
Ok thanks Dan. After trying out your old fastbands, I'm sure these will be excellent. Your one of my slingshot inspirations on this forum, so I value you products greatly. And on a different note, what size steel balls would you suggest I use with these. I use 3/8 inch steel at the moment, thinking of getting 1/2 inch. Thanks,

Conal.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
At 8g+ it would rather be pushing the envelope. These bands are roughly half the power of Fastbands and for those 9g is really zippy, about perfect. So 4g (.375 steel) would be about right considering the pouch is the same weight. The .50 would feel slow. Anyway, the I'm not selling these bands, offering them in trade or even representing that they are any good. I just want to put them in several people's hands so they can see how they look and decide if they work as an alternative to tying. Personally I will continue with the elaborate tying that I use on the Fastbands, because I have a heap of experimental data and customer feedback on them and I know that they last as long as can ever be expected from flatbands.

However, some people may find the timesaving of punching vs tying to be worthwhile. That's why industry went with this method for attaching tubes and why you rarely see production slingshot pouched attached any other way.

Admittedly, the attachment is not as strong as they would be if they were tubes. Tubes form a collar and are thicker. For bands it becomes very critical that the hole is the right size (about 1.5mm for Thera-band Gold) and totally without ragged edges. The best way I have found to make the hole is with a leather punch or by a hot 1.5mm needle.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Gib's sent too. I sent an unusual set with double punched bands.

The last hold out is ukslingshots. If he doesn't respond, I'll ship to aamj50 who's waiting in reserve.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.