Slingshots Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've been using this method, heating up a quilting needle with a lighter, and really like the low resource use. They last for around 300 shots with my thin Theraband-black strips. I don't really know what a *good* amount of shots would be, durability-wise, but I like the method's simplicity.
With thera black that is very good ! If I could get 500 from this method would be great with thera gold.

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
Hey Dan,
I've tried it in the past, but had some problems with tear out, so I gave up on it. Maybe I had some old rubber.
I'll try it again and let you know my findings.
I agree that it's a great idea if it lasts!!!
It is possible to do this badly. Too large a hole, or too much tension compared to the strength of the bit that goes around the back would make it stretch and tear. My first set went wrong because I had the hole too small. I have been shooting these 230mm x18mm x2mm tapers and there's no wear, nor sign of the hole stretching beyond where it should be.
[/quote]

i think another factor here is your hole has to be cut very cleanly, so that no tears develop as a result of imperfections, minor tears turn into big tears once stretched.

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
I've been using this method, heating up a quilting needle with a lighter, and really like the low resource use. They last for around 300 shots with my thin Theraband-black strips. I don't really know what a *good* amount of shots would be, durability-wise, but I like the method's simplicity.
perfect, i was trying to think of how to try this method without without having to buy new tools, so i just need to find the right thickness rod-needle

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,749 Posts
Hey, will this work on neckties ? I keep forgetting how to make a half-windsor knot.
wink.gif
Double-windsor looks much neater, because it is symmetrical. : )

·
2,749 Posts
I use it on some of my shooters. I find it is as accurate for me, if not more so, than tying bands to the pouch. I have less of a problem with beard snatch, for one thing.

Cheers .... Charles
Charles, in reference to your technique of attaching tubes to pouches, it is the same technique as Trumark uses for their RR-T (red) tubes, and after a while, the pulling of the rubber cinches it tighter and tighter on the pouch and causes pouch curl, which I and others addressed a few years ago. Are you not getting pouch curl on the tubed pouches?

Thanks,

Mike

PS - renewed membership in the IBM for the heck of it

·
2,749 Posts
Was doing that in 1998! It works but crawls and curls the pouch after shooting a bit! -- Tex-shooter
Agreed. Over time the band cinches tighter and tighter on the pouch - just like on the Trumark RR-T (red) tubes. I provided a solution to preventing the curl several years ago.

Regards,

Mike

81 - 88 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.