Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on a cruise years ago, and did my best to get everybody a souvenir (as one does). I picked up a little natty slingshot in Mexico for my brother. It looked like someone whittled it with a knife and threw some office rubber on it. It wasn't very pretty, and the pouch/bands were garbage, but I didn't know anything about slingshots either.

Well my brother just got married this year, and left a box of stuff at our parents he didn't want. And what do I find when I go through it, but the ugly natty! I can't be too hurt cause it was a garbage setup, but it set the wheels in my brain spinning if I could do something decent with the fork.

I tossed all the bands and the pouch, and decided to trim it down. I took about 2 inches off the handle and 1 inch off each fork. Then I started sanding like crazy. The surface was roughly hewed, so I started with 60 grit and worked my way up to 400. Once I had it nice and smooth I sought the help of the SSF for how to finish it (idk anything about wood finishing). I settled on two coats of tung oil, buffing with #0000 steel wool before and after each coat.

She's all done now, and fires 3/8" steel with zest when I put looped 1632 tubes on her. It's still an odd little frame, and it's got a crack on the bigger fork (although very small). Nonetheless, it's grown on me. I don't know the wood, or even which town I picked it up in, but something about it's ugly duckling facade has really charmed me. Thanks for looking.

*still for the life of me can't figure out how to get these pictures right side up...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Nice transformation! Have you tried single 2040's btw? I much prefer them to looped 1632's. Much smoother draw.

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice transformation! Have you tried single 2040's btw? I much prefer them to looped 1632's. Much smoother draw.
I'll have to give that a try Skropi. I have some tubing headed my way, so I'll play around with the setups when it arrives from China. Of course, it may take another month...

Reactions: Tag

·
Ray Rowden
2,430 Posts
Excellent work!

Your shooter reminds me of one I have that's waiting for me to work on - or rework

It was also collected in Mexico, and is reputed to be Guava.

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! I'm just experimenting with the finishes, but it's crazy how complex you can get with it. Just one more aspect of the sport to love!

Reactions: KawKan

·
Registered
591 Posts
. . . . . . . She's all done now, and fires 3/8" steel with zest when I put looped 1632 tubes on her. It's still an odd little frame, and it's got a crack on the bigger fork (although very small). Nonetheless, it's grown on me. I don't know the wood, or even which town I picked it up in, but something about it's ugly duckling facade has really charmed me. Thanks for looking.
Thanks, I hadn't seen string tabs before, they look efficient with the looped tubes.

Mike

·
Registered
662 Posts
This may be just me talking. But it looked amazing from the picture without it being banded up. I do however have a love for ugly gnarled forks. I think it has the best character.

Also did you not want to use leather tabs to prolong the band life a bit? It may be miniscuel but anything helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts