Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to enjoy shooting 5/16 steel and been using the simple shot pre made bands. They perform great but I feel like I could make some that shoot faster. I have a roll of SS Black .4, .5, .6, 7, a roll of GZK green .62 and orange .66, a roll of precise .45 and .55 coming as well. What should I use and what taper to get the best speed and performance from a 29” draw? Not to concerned with band life since I can make plenty.

·
Ray Rowden
2,643 Posts
The Simple-Shot is their .50mm cut to 18-12mm taper.
That seems like a pretty aggressive setup for 5/16 steel, especially if you trim the active length to 5-1/4 inches or so.
You could get wilder and cut the .50 to a 20-10 taper. I agree with the earlier posts that thicker latex is probably not the ticket for success.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Yes to confirm thicker latex and a wider taper is not going to get a faster shot for smaller ammo. When I use those 20x12 taper .5 simple shot bands i find I get the exact same speeds from the ¼" and the 5/16" .... even when the temperatures down to 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
.5/.6 in 24-12 gets the job done, for me the nicest taper so far. I tried most common ones, this seems best.
Ive seen this taper on ATOs youtube, he gets speeds above 300fps with it. Impressive. He maxes the bands out, I tried this taper, but I don't like the heavy draw. Speed is awesome, but my accuracy goes down.

·
Registered
full speed or no speed
63 Posts
Ive seen this taper on ATOs youtube, he gets speeds above 300fps with it. Impressive. He maxes the bands out, I tried this taper, but I don't like the heavy draw. Speed is awesome, but my accuracy goes down.
I'm close to maxing them out, around 90%.
Draw is smooth and light for me, compared to the BSB/GreatWhite.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
@madmax96

Out of curiosity I set up my birthday present with Snipersling black .50, 24-12 taper, 4,5 elongation and it feels smoother than I remembered, maybe I cut the bands a bit shorter last time. I get up to 250fps with 8mm ammo, that's ok. The Beanflip is able to handle wider cuts, so this band will stay on it.
Cutting mat Wood Revolver Tool Crankset

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
@madmax96

Out of curiosity I set up my birthday present with Snipersling black .50, 24-12 taper, 4,5 elongation and it feels smoother than I remembered, maybe I cut the bands a bit shorter last time. I get up to 250fps with 8mm ammo, that's ok. The Beanflip is able to handle wider cuts, so this band will stay on it.
I have tried a lot of elastics, and that sniper black is some wicked stiff stuff. I have the black in 0.5 and 0.6, and they behave more like 0.6 and 0.8 in other brands for me. Lately I have been using the 0.6 for 7/16" steel and getting speeds comparable to 0.8 SS bands. The 0.5 sniper black really gets 3/8" steel going for me but feels like too much for 5/16". I have also tried the Sniper black in 0.7 and it is a bit too stiff for me to shoot accurately.

For me, Precise 3rd 0.5, Sniper yellow 0.5, and SS 0.5 are my favorites for 5/16", usually with 24-16 or 20-12 tapers. Very light draws that are easy to aim and shoot all day. And speeds easily getting to or over 250 fps even with my shortish 29" draw and relaxed elongations that extend band life. And setting the bands at 500-550% elongation still has relatively light draw and can get the 5/16" up around 265+ fps for me. And if I push the elongation a bit, I can head up toward 280 fps with these.

Really fun to zip them out this fast, especially with a relatively light draw weight from a short draw anchor.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Yeah, it's wicked stuff. I prefer Sumeike .50 for the light draw it has, but it's affected by the low temperatures, so in winter I'll shoot SS black for 7&8mm. For BBs i still use the Sumeike, they are up to 270fps, that's more than enough for me. Can't wait for summer...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah, it's wicked stuff. I prefer Sumeike .50 for the light draw it has, but it's affected by the low temperatures, so in winter I'll shoot SS black for 7&8mm. For BBs i still use the Sumeike, they are up to 270fps, that's more than enough for me. Can't wait for summer...

While I claim to have tried a lot of elastics, there are many I haven't tried yet as well. Just so many out there. Sumeike, BSB, GZK and a few others are some of the popular ones I haven't tried. From paying attention to what others say about these, they all sound great. And I think you have the right idea for thin bands and easy pulls still getting the 5/16" out blazing fast.

Every now and again I get and old wrist rocket out with some of the big box store tubes just to remember what things were like when I was growing up. Really fun to have a chrony all these decades later. And always a hoot to see some flat bands that pull way under 10 lbs shooting 5/16" and 3/8" balls 50% faster than those tubes even when they are shortened to the max and pulling over 20 lbs. And similar results with bigger balls like 7/16", although I do have to step up to thicker flat bands to get that done.

·
Registered
full speed or no speed
63 Posts
I have tried a lot of elastics, and that sniper black is some wicked stiff stuff. I have the black in 0.5 and 0.6, and they behave more like 0.6 and 0.8 in other brands for me. Lately I have been using the 0.6 for 7/16" steel and getting speeds comparable to 0.8 SS bands. The 0.5 sniper black really gets 3/8" steel going for me but feels like too much for 5/16". I have also tried the Sniper black in 0.7 and it is a bit too stiff for me to shoot accurately.

For me, Precise 3rd 0.5, Sniper yellow 0.5, and SS 0.5 are my favorites for 5/16", usually with 24-16 or 20-12 tapers. Very light draws that are easy to aim and shoot all day. And speeds easily getting to or over 250 fps even with my shortish 29" draw and relaxed elongations that extend band life. And setting the bands at 500-550% elongation still has relatively light draw and can get the 5/16" up around 265+ fps for me. And if I push the elongation a bit, I can head up toward 280 fps with these.

Really fun to zip them out this fast, especially with a relatively light draw weight from a short draw anchor.
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience, always learning. I like to have a bit more power behind those 8mm, so.6 is where it is at for me currently. The 🟨SS is doing very well for my accuracy, just today managed to get on somewhat small targets at 20m. I have a lot of brands here to test still, but for now I just enjoy the SS a lot. Can shoot that all day long. When I started, I made the mistake and thought there's a need for big ammo and heavy/thicc stuff like .8 and up.
I was very wrong 😁, will stay with 8 and 9,5mm for now.

·
Registered
full speed or no speed
63 Posts
@madmax96 Yup. In the cold it's really fast. Did some penetration testing today, this stuff is really good.

View attachment 357921
Will have to try the.5 as well, I have another 24-12 cut and ready in .6, will see how that compares to the yellow. Might give me some handslaps.😂 I have shot it in .7 with 9,5mm and 25-15, draw was like an .8 band and I could not get on the target with it.

Picture shows damage from 10m with. 6🟨SS first shot almost passed it through.
Font Drink Liquid Tints and shades Electric blue

1 - 20 of 27 Posts