Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I am quite undecided. I don't know whether to go fixed anchor or floating, about half butterfly, 9.5mm steel or 8mm steel?
I shot with the extended draw today, and after around 30-40 shots, I shoot the same as fixed anchor, only with some flyers because it's a new style to me.
How can someone decide what is a better style, I wonder. Both styles are comfortable, both equally, or almost equally accurate. What gives?
How long did it take you guys to decide?
I hate dilemmas ????

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Slingshots are so much fun, why limit yourself to one band and frame and ammo and draw length?
There's boardcuts and bent-wires and beanshooters. Big balls and baby beans and rocks and hexnuts. Heavy draws, light draws, long and short draws. Upright, gangstah, and everything in between. Theraband and latex and hoze and chains.
Experiment with everything and eventually something will shake out that you like best. Don't force it or you're likely to paint yourself into a corner and get frustrated.
I know I just posted elsewhere that looped tubes aren't my thing, but that doesn't mean they're all I'm going to shoot, just that they're my primary setup. I'll still shoot everything listed above from time to time.
Again : slingshots are fun, not work.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MJ, I agree, but the reason I want to find what suits me best, is to know in what to focus, not to exclude everything else.
And well, yes, I made slingshooting work, but it's the way I enjoy it :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
More and more people seem to be preferring a fixed anchor, although shooters of all styles have proven that no techniques is inherently superior. Amazing accuracy can be achieved in a lot of ways. I only shoot with a fixed anchor and I'm inclined to believe that it's easier to be accurate with (especially for newcomers) because there's less room for fluctuation in draw length and anchor location as opposed to using a floating anchor.

I am, however, always jealous of the wicked speeds full butterfly shooters can achieve. I'm hoping to further explore butterfly shooting but with my limited time I'm only staying with what I'm comfortable with. If you want maximum speed:draw weight ratio then a longer draw is the way to go. Alternatively if you want to explore speed shooting or quick reloading, a shorter draw will serve you better.

Hope some of this helps! :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that both styles are equally capable, what I don't know is what suits me better as I shoot them both equally. I don't want to practice everything, bit just one thing so as to become better at it.
I am currently giving both styles time to develop, so as to be able to better judge what works best. Problem is that I think that both styles suit me the same :(

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
475 Posts
Anchor points use to give me a fork hit if I shot a target that was high or low to ground. With a TTF slingshot. The PFS freed me of that. Now I can shoot over my head, with no anchor point at all. Try it, its fun. Good for those shots where a wall or bush is blocking your target.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anchor points use to give me a fork hit if I shot a target that was high or low to ground. With a TTF slingshot. The PFS freed me of that. Now I can shoot over my head, with no anchor point at all. Try it, its fun. Good for those shots where a wall or bush is blocking your target.
Well, I don't get fork hits anyway, and Info shoot both styles the same, maybe a veeeeery slight advantage to the longer draw because of the lighter draw weight.
So, it's not so clear cut for me. I believe that after 2 months of shooting both styles, slowly starting to shoot 9.5mm with a long draw (I only shoot 8mm steel long draw currently), things will become clear. I will make a bandset optimized for 9.5mm long draw, and see what happens tomorrow.

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
I think your finger situation has to be a guiding factor here. If you keep aggravating that, you'll regret it for a lot longer than it took to damage in the first place.

You're on the right track with your variety of options and wish to have a standard preferred method to pursue excellence, but you probably just need to exercise a bit more patience and accept some of the uncertainty. There's no deadline in this process, and not really an end point. It's wise to maintain multiple options on the journey.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think your finger situation has to be a guiding factor here. If you keep aggravating that, you'll regret it for a lot longer than it took to damage in the first place.

You're on the right track with your variety of options and wish to have a standard preferred method to pursue excellence, but you probably just need to exercise a bit more patience and accept some of the uncertainty. There's no deadline in this process, and not really an end point. It's wise to maintain multiple options on the journey.
Well, this change in shooting style is because of the Skropi Finger ???? With the lighter draw I don't aggravate it at all. I dont even need to use the injured part to grip the ammo!
Your words are wise, you are right, ,there's no real hurry. So, I will let me enjoy the process!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If accuracy is you're whole deal then use an archery style draw... just saying. It would give you an exact reference point every time.
I know, but everything is give and take. With some styles the release is easier, with others the draw weight is more manageable, others yet offer more comfortable pouch hold etc etc.
I am just shooting both styles and see where that gets me. To be frank, the extended draw wins some points till now, mainly because of its easy draw.
I tried some lighter bands with my shorter draw and.....well, got disappointed to say the least. I have to literally lob the 9.5mm, while the 8mm steel is going fast no matter how I shoot.
I am practicing mainly half butterfly, as it is the style I haven't practiced much. We'll see what happens. Till then I am having fun ????

Reactions: Tag

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Skropi I think your post is not only interesting, but informative as well. One never knows which way to shoot is the best for them if they don’t try other styles. Some people are fortunate to be naturally talented, adapt easier than others or just be lucky to start out with a form that suits them the best. The first sport that comes to mind that requires most people to constantly try different techniques is golf

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Several people come to mind when I think of amazing accuracy, with completely different styles. I’ve never asked before, it would be interesting to see if people just picked up a slingshot shot and never changed their style of shooting.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
The struggle is real... eapecially after watching Youtube slingshot videos.
So I always watch Rufus Hussey last. His rules seem simple...
1.See what you're shooting at.
2. Shoot it.
3. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let's see, today I shot around 600 shots, I am still shooting, and my finger is doing fine. I couldn't shoot so much with a short, heavier draw.
Shooting count is not everything of course, but it is a start.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After a full day of long draw shooting, I can safely say what the first results regarding accuracy are. I am "almost" as effective as with the short draw. No card cutting as with a short draw, but not too far away, and I am inclined to believe that consistency is improved.
It's too early yet of course.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts