Slingshots Forum banner

Undecided on Style

2K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  skropi 
#1 ·
Yeah, I am quite undecided. I don't know whether to go fixed anchor or floating, about half butterfly, 9.5mm steel or 8mm steel?
I shot with the extended draw today, and after around 30-40 shots, I shoot the same as fixed anchor, only with some flyers because it's a new style to me.
How can someone decide what is a better style, I wonder. Both styles are comfortable, both equally, or almost equally accurate. What gives?
How long did it take you guys to decide?
I hate dilemmas ????

#2 ·
Slingshots are so much fun, why limit yourself to one band and frame and ammo and draw length?
There's boardcuts and bent-wires and beanshooters. Big balls and baby beans and rocks and hexnuts. Heavy draws, light draws, long and short draws. Upright, gangstah, and everything in between. Theraband and latex and hoze and chains.
Experiment with everything and eventually something will shake out that you like best. Don't force it or you're likely to paint yourself into a corner and get frustrated.
I know I just posted elsewhere that looped tubes aren't my thing, but that doesn't mean they're all I'm going to shoot, just that they're my primary setup. I'll still shoot everything listed above from time to time.
Again : slingshots are fun, not work.

#8 ·
More and more people seem to be preferring a fixed anchor, although shooters of all styles have proven that no techniques is inherently superior. Amazing accuracy can be achieved in a lot of ways. I only shoot with a fixed anchor and I'm inclined to believe that it's easier to be accurate with (especially for newcomers) because there's less room for fluctuation in draw length and anchor location as opposed to using a floating anchor.

I am, however, always jealous of the wicked speeds full butterfly shooters can achieve. I'm hoping to further explore butterfly shooting but with my limited time I'm only staying with what I'm comfortable with. If you want maximum speed:draw weight ratio then a longer draw is the way to go. Alternatively if you want to explore speed shooting or quick reloading, a shorter draw will serve you better.

Hope some of this helps! :)

#9 ·
I know that both styles are equally capable, what I don't know is what suits me better as I shoot them both equally. I don't want to practice everything, bit just one thing so as to become better at it.
I am currently giving both styles time to develop, so as to be able to better judge what works best. Problem is that I think that both styles suit me the same :(

Reactions: Tag
#10 ·
Anchor points use to give me a fork hit if I shot a target that was high or low to ground. With a TTF slingshot. The PFS freed me of that. Now I can shoot over my head, with no anchor point at all. Try it, its fun. Good for those shots where a wall or bush is blocking your target.

#11 ·
Anchor points use to give me a fork hit if I shot a target that was high or low to ground. With a TTF slingshot. The PFS freed me of that. Now I can shoot over my head, with no anchor point at all. Try it, its fun. Good for those shots where a wall or bush is blocking your target.
Well, I don't get fork hits anyway, and Info shoot both styles the same, maybe a veeeeery slight advantage to the longer draw because of the lighter draw weight.
So, it's not so clear cut for me. I believe that after 2 months of shooting both styles, slowly starting to shoot 9.5mm with a long draw (I only shoot 8mm steel long draw currently), things will become clear. I will make a bandset optimized for 9.5mm long draw, and see what happens tomorrow.

#12 ·
I think your finger situation has to be a guiding factor here. If you keep aggravating that, you'll regret it for a lot longer than it took to damage in the first place.

You're on the right track with your variety of options and wish to have a standard preferred method to pursue excellence, but you probably just need to exercise a bit more patience and accept some of the uncertainty. There's no deadline in this process, and not really an end point. It's wise to maintain multiple options on the journey.

#13 ·
I think your finger situation has to be a guiding factor here. If you keep aggravating that, you'll regret it for a lot longer than it took to damage in the first place.

You're on the right track with your variety of options and wish to have a standard preferred method to pursue excellence, but you probably just need to exercise a bit more patience and accept some of the uncertainty. There's no deadline in this process, and not really an end point. It's wise to maintain multiple options on the journey.
Well, this change in shooting style is because of the Skropi Finger ???? With the lighter draw I don't aggravate it at all. I dont even need to use the injured part to grip the ammo!
Your words are wise, you are right, ,there's no real hurry. So, I will let me enjoy the process!

#15 ·
If accuracy is you're whole deal then use an archery style draw... just saying. It would give you an exact reference point every time.
I know, but everything is give and take. With some styles the release is easier, with others the draw weight is more manageable, others yet offer more comfortable pouch hold etc etc.
I am just shooting both styles and see where that gets me. To be frank, the extended draw wins some points till now, mainly because of its easy draw.
I tried some lighter bands with my shorter draw and.....well, got disappointed to say the least. I have to literally lob the 9.5mm, while the 8mm steel is going fast no matter how I shoot.
I am practicing mainly half butterfly, as it is the style I haven't practiced much. We'll see what happens. Till then I am having fun ????

#16 ·
Skropi I think your post is not only interesting, but informative as well. One never knows which way to shoot is the best for them if they don’t try other styles. Some people are fortunate to be naturally talented, adapt easier than others or just be lucky to start out with a form that suits them the best. The first sport that comes to mind that requires most people to constantly try different techniques is golf

#20 ·
After a full day of long draw shooting, I can safely say what the first results regarding accuracy are. I am "almost" as effective as with the short draw. No card cutting as with a short draw, but not too far away, and I am inclined to believe that consistency is improved.
It's too early yet of course.

#21 ·
40 quick shots this morning before work, with the longer draw, and I am wondering if all this time I was fighting na losing battle.
I even got to card cutting accuracy, made some nice consecutive hits, nothing impressive, but decent for my level.
I find the longer draw forces me to focus on the release.
It's still too early though. If I shoot fixed anchor exclusively for a few days, I will shoot a bit better, no doubt. But this new technique gave some promising results earlier than anticipated.
All in all, this makes it harder to decide on a main shooting technique, but given time, I really hope things will become clear.
Oh, I also put some fun in! No, I didn't hang a can, but I do smile every 10 shots, right before I load the pouch! ????

#22 ·
Here's what I basically said to Skropi in a PM:

In my opinion a long draw, like half butterfly to full albatross, can be almost as accurate as the short face anchor draw... BUT the longer draw has greater/easier to achieve power potential than the shorter draw.

The accuracy potential of the shorter draw is greatly enhanced because of the ability to do a "cheek weld" hold like you do with rifles and shotguns, except instead of using the butt of the gun you sort of push your thumb against your cheek or cheekbone ... and therefore less variables on the pouch hold side of the equation.

For me... I actually prefer the longer draw, but am limited to the shorter draw until I get my shoulder back into shape... hopefully over the winter... BUT, there are definite benefits to shooting with the short draw and light weight bandsets and ammo...

I mean, I did after all win this last tournament (SEST) using that style exclusively.

Even though my shoulder is hurt, I was still able to compete with and pull ahead of what most would consider most of the best shooters in the USA.... When normally at tournaments and in day to day shooting, I shoot using the power over accuracy approach and if competing would be somewhat lucky to beat the top guys,even though I have done it a couple of times.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is... if all you're after is accuracy, then I think there may be more potential for it with a face anchor strategy... but if you want power, and if that is more fun for you, then you will want a long draw even though your overall accuracy may suffer a little bit.

#23 ·
Thanks for the advice again Bill! I will ask my last question here too. What is considered a nice, light draw weight for 3/8 steel, using a fixed draw. I know it all depends, but is my usual 9 pounds on the heavy side? 3/8 steel with a 31" draw length, goes quite slow with lower than that. So, should I accept it and keep on shooting 9 pounds, or simply adapt to lower speeds?

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
You have to find the most efficient band to enable you to reduce draw weight and still have reasonable speed. So far, the fastest I have found is the purple Sanctband but I haven't tried the Sumeike yet. My draw length is 32" to my ear anchor point (try this). You might be happy with 8mm or 5/16" steel and the Sanctband. You could drop down to an even 6 pounds and still likely get 215 fps. The Santband was given to me by another member and I don't know where to get it. Maybe eBay or Amazon.

Sanctband Plum (6 lbs, 13 oz draw weight)

13/16" x 11/16" x 6 1/4"

3/8" steel = 190 fps

5/16" steel = 230 fps

1/4" steel = 270 fps

.177" steel = 297 fps

Sanctband Plum (6 lbs, 2 oz draw weight)

13/16" x 11/16" x 7"

3/8" steel = 187 fps

5/16" steel = 220 fps

1/4" steel = 253 fps

.177" steel = 271 fps

#25 ·
Hmmmmmm, maybe I am shooting very fast with my fixed draw and don't realize it. I have to measure again with the chrono app.
I can find sanctum locally, but it's cheaper to order gzk, precise or sumeike from AliExpress ;)

#26 ·
If accuracy is you're whole deal then use an archery style draw... just saying. It would give you an exact reference point every time.
That's my preferred anchor. After many years of archery it just came natural. I see others using a floating anchor and full butterfly. I may venture off into trying things like that when I move back outside to shoot. For now I'm sticking to what I know puts the ball safely in the barrel 100% of the time. I may miss the spinner but indoors I can't afford to miss the barrel opening. The adventurous shooting style practice will have to take place outdoors. It won't be long now as it's cooling off nicely here in this infernally hot state. I think I'll keep my indoor range for rainy days and night shooting. I'll set another catch barrel outside so I can shoot either place. Indoors is great because if I get the urge to shoot late at night there is always good lighting and no neighbors ever even know I'm shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.