Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys, I have recently changed position within my current job and as such have not been out shooting or mooching much trying to devote my time to the new work position. Well today I got a call from my father asking me to come around with my son for a while and to be honest I shrugged it off just because its the first day in a while I have had some time to myself. Well he decided to come around to me and boy am I glad he did because all three of us went for a walk in the local woodland to a part that is quiet and not well trodden. I have never been here before and took the time too notice the trees before my addiction that is and my gosh I got a shock..... Its a Yew wood ! Months of hunting for a decent tree even using the 600 year old one in my church and all this time at least 40 trees in my stomping ground!! To be honest I expected to get some nice forks but to come home with a bag full of Yew I most certainly did not expect! what a great day.

IMG-20130109-00391.jpg

IMG-20130109-00392.jpg

IMG-20130109-00393.jpg

IMG-20130109-00403.jpg

IMG-20130109-00396.jpg

And the jewel in the crown a spalted Yew fork ! I imagine finiding a unicorn would be easier I am super looking forward to this one slow drying after a bath of linseed to stabilise,

IMG-20130109-00400.jpg

IMG-20130109-00401.jpg

IMG-20130109-00402.jpg

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
wow luxor thank you so much for sharing! ive admired the stunning grain pattern of yew ever since i started prowling the forum, but i'd not yet seen a freshly cut fork. now that ive seen 'the greens' and the bark im confident ill be able to find some too.

be very careful while working those beauties, for what ive read yew is very poisenous and the dust from sawing and sanding could indeed kill you.

thanks again for sharing your awesome find, cant wait to see them finished!

cheers, remco

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its toxic and the dust gets everywhere ! Its a good time to find yew because they are evergreen, to be double sure break a small limb about the size of a finger and look for the heart wood , once yew identify one though yew will never miss them again .

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
cant wait to see them in their slingshot life .

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Great find! It always seems to be the case that we do not notice things right under our own nose ....

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Big lead launcher
263 Posts
Nothing better than coming home with a bag full of forks (ok maybe a bag full of rabbits). I have a fair amount of yew near me but they line a well used public foot. A grown man on his own in the woods carrying a large saw can be quite intimidating for the local female dog walkers.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Nothing better than coming home with a bag full of forks (ok maybe a bag full of rabbits). I have a fair amount of yew near me but they line a well used public foot. A grown man on his own in the woods carrying a large saw can be quite intimidating for the local female dog walkers.
thats why i bought a folding model pruning saw with a 8" blade. it doesnt saw as quickly as a big one, but it does pack away neatly in my jacket pocket.

cheers, remco

·
Registered
596 Posts
thats why i bought a folding model pruning saw with a 8" blade. it doesnt saw as quickly as a big one, but it does pack away neatly in my jacket pocket.
cheers, remco
That is my next purchase this Friday! It will be pulling double duty, in my day pack and my main pack! :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes its toxic and the dust gets everywhere ! Its a good time to find yew because they are evergreen, to be double sure break a small limb about the size of a finger and look for the heart wood , once yew identify one though yew will never miss them again .
I am looking forward to seeing your slingshots you make. It looks like you got some very nice looking forks there!

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats all I harvested these forks with just a pruning saw. A good quality pruning saw is razor sharp you will be amazed the speed that large limbs get cut.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thats all I harvested these forks with just a pruning saw. A good quality pruning saw is razor sharp you will be amazed the speed that large limbs get cut.
What make, model are you guys using?

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Really like the forks and how you found them. Why can't I do that? :what: And your saw looks really good to. Thanks for sharing luxor

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the hardest part is getting out there I work office most days of the week and have plenty of time to look at maps and google various species of tree/info , its then taking that information after a long week and just getting out there That's hard . It always pays of though in my experience , the amount of times I have pondered going to a location and come back with decent forks is a lot.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've got a folding saw too, but mainly use the saw on my Victorinox Farmer pocket knife. It's only small, and takes a bit more effort, but cuts surprisingly well. The real benefit is that it goes everywhere with me so I'm always ready to harvest a nice fork if I see one.

·
The King of Kings ...There is only 1...
1,701 Posts
The old folding saws are super handy. Nice score on the yew, i recently found a nice fork or 2 as well and cannot wait to start a project out of it. While I spalt some of my others i have on the shelf.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
The old folding saws are super handy. Nice score on the yew, i recently found a nice fork or 2 as well and cannot wait to start a project out of it. While I spalt some of my others i have on the shelf.
sounds intresting! please, do tell, how do you induce spalting, and what species of wood are most suitable.

cheers, remco

1 - 19 of 19 Posts