Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Here's a nice little Chalice that I just finished up. The wood is from a 6 ft board that was salvaged from a small office in the hospital where I work. It's from the original part of the hospital built in the 40s.

I tried to cut the outline with my jig saw and that was a complete mess, that wood is hard.

A friend cut it out for me using a metal cutting blade on his scroll saw. I shaped it with files and sandpaper and the BLO finish darkened it very nicely. The rasp I used would only make powder.

The grain is quite wavy and the end grain almost looks like alligator skin. Does anyone have any idea what it might be??

Attachments

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd better mention that being a board cut, I tested it and it is definitely strong enough to handle a good beating.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I'm with Mattwalt and Slingdude. Definitely look like oak.

The Northern European Oak (Quercus Robur), also called French Oak in Portugal has that same type of grain. The only strange thing is that you say that when you've cut it with the jig saw, the wood was hard. Quercus Robur is not that hard. The only similar grain with strong hardness, in the oak family is Quercus Ilex...which is a Mediterranean species.

By the way, LOVELY chalice!!!!

Cheers ...Q

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Its a very common wood in South Africa - It was one of the go-to's for woodwork projects when I was at school. I also worked in a joinery making solid wood cabinets from oak and maple. Its one tough material to work with.

I'm confident its American white oak.

It should be an ideal candidate for a CA finish - has quite an open grain so should take it in well.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know about being Oak, gentlemen. Red and White Oak are both very prevalent here and I've worked with both. The grain on this is super tight.

It may well be Oak from a different region than ours. Ill try to get a side by side pic of the rest of that board, it's definitely far harder than anything I've worked with before.

Reactions: Tag

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Looks like a Pin Oak ( or another name for it- Willow Oak ) to me?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts