Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i found a site that sells lumber in basically the best possible sizes for slingshots, selling 1" thick boards in whatever board foot amount you want. http://www.woodworke...e.com/index.php . They are based out of the us in arizona, and seem to be a nice company. They have a huge selection too!

Im really eager to order, but the sheet i want to order will hopefully yield 1 board foot that is 6" x 24". this size will make it possible to lay the stencils across the 6" of the board, alternating one up and one down, as such:
(PLEASE ALLOW IMG LINKS TO FLIKR, i hate phtobucket).

the only trouble i am having is weather it would be safe to make slingshots with the grain going across the slingshot as apposed to up and down. I normally use multiplex, so it doesnt matter how i cut it, but this is lumber and is affected much more by its natural grain. The issues i see are: 1) can grain going across handle the strain of a double theragold set? and 2) upon a fork hit, wont the wood be more likely to completely separate from the rest of the slingshot?

thanks,
kyle.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Why not stagger them a little on a wider board and pack them closer.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Don't use the grain across the slingshot, it is not safe! -- Tex

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I hope this helps. I made some wood prototype slingshots that were cut against the grain. I made 5 to be exact and all five were over 1inch thick, but all five broke within 50 to 100 pulls with green theraband. I guess I am telling you that it might be a bad idea and a waste of good wood. The wood was cured oak. They broke off at the forks and the frames cracked. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You could always laminate two 1/2 pieces together with the grain 90 deg. to each other for strength. It can look cool if the wood is contrasting. Also a thin strip of Micarta can add strength and beauty. I know this adds a few more steps, but it can easily be done without too much trouble, IMO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i thaught itd be dangerous! thanks for the input from everyone though.

but has anyone checked them out? theyre awesome as far as i can see!

·
Super Moderator
6,538 Posts
Very nice link Pulse. Good selection and some real variety. thanks, Flatband

1 - 8 of 8 Posts