Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do with the animals you kill while hunting? Strip it of the meat, but what do you do with the skin and bones? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I'm overwhelmingly ineffective, but I have never fished, trapped or hunted any animal that was not released unharmed or consumed for sustenance. My ethos may not be the same as another's, but as long as it is done with dignity and without excessive waste or suffering, then I have no issue with it.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My parents being from Kentucky and from the hills at that, were accustom to eating things that most civilized people would never think to put in their mouths. I used to tell people that our family motto was "if you can't sell it eat it." Both were also small game hunters and excellent shots with what seemed to be their weapon of choice a single shot 22 rifle. The day I moved out was the last day I ate anything that couldn't be purchased in my local grocery and the last time I went hunting.
I have the greatest respect for those of you who do hunt, but for me it's targets only....but I do recycle those

·
Registered
470 Posts
Im really into harvesting pest species, they are very abundant and nobody will miss them. Plus they make a good snack for pets. My dogs love it when I fry some starling or pigeon meat. My neighbour's cats are no fussier, they want it raw (freshly killed). I do my neighbourhood pest contrl service, and tummy's get fed at the same time

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
We've got an empty apple shed...huge...huge that is over-ran with pigeons. On my morning walk, one presented itself to me from atop the roof and I missed it by "that much" !

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you hunt rabbits, their meat is good and their fur is very soft. Once you get the hide off, if you learn to do some hair-on tanning (a rather messy, time-consuming chore, but can be done at home), you can make all sorts of neat stuff out of them: fur-lined gloves, hats, holsters, ammo pouches, etc. Bones can be cleaned, cut, and used for fasteners, decorations, etc. You can even find some decent tanning tutorials online, though you'd have to scale down quite a bit on the "recipes" for something small like a bunny, unless you're doing a bunch of them at once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts