Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Sculpey polymer clay hard enough by it's self after cooking to make a slingshot out of?

Has anyone tried it? I have like 10 pounds of it...

Thanks!

-Bop

·
Registered
369 Posts
Most sculpting is based on building over some sort of substatial framework incorporating wire, wood, metal etc....Coat hangers or wire could be bent to shape...possibly a wood model of the SS design, but allowing for the final build up of clay...Thin layers of clay pasted and shaped over the original model...And baked { one thin layer at a time )...,Sand for finish, or simply add thin layers for detail,,,and bake...By working the Sculpty and rolling it out with a rolling pin you can achievr thin laters to work with...You might even use a cheap chinese SS frame for the framework ...rough it up with sandpaper, cover with thin layers of clay and bake...one layer at a time...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Never heard of it, but in the past I've made ss from a large coach bolt, having a good heavy thread, head chopped off, and welded a u shape fork on, than hand shaped with a polymer putty called "knead it".. once cured its hard as rock and can be stained etc etc..

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...possibly a wood model of the SS design, but allowing for the final build up of clay...Thin layers of clay pasted and shaped over the original model...And baked { one thin layer at a time )...,
The reason I want to make it out of the Sculpey is because I have no tools to carve with, but I'll try a coat hanger or something at some point and report back.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It's important to make sure the putty or what ever it be, adhears well to the frame, hence the reason I use coach bolts, again the heavy thread grabs the putty good..its simply hold the frame in your hand in full draw stance and squeeze your exact finger/hand shape into the putty, and let to cure...

Attachments

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Sculpey is good product over a metal frame. I have several and they seem very stable. Here is one given to me made from Fimo, witch is another product like Sculpey. If I remember correctly it has a wire frame. -- Tex

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.