Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ...the weather in Newcastle Upon Tyne is becoming grim.
I was wondering if anyone has made paper/ card rolled up v 'darts' to shoot inside.
I was gonna use a pack of poker cards, folding and glueing individual cards into a V shape...like I did at school in the 60.s.
Does anyone have any size recommendations for the V shaped darts. Heavier ones,more folds may fly with more consistency I guess.
Also, banding - any ideas? Dont want to overpower then.
I.ll be using an OTT Dankung Toucan.
Any help, thoughts much appreciated.
Just want some winter fun to practise my form, kp my eye in. etc. My wife will not allow bb/177.s...lol.
Cheers.
Fungus.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use 6mm airsoft. I bought 5000 of the heavy 2.5gn for £8
I made some very light bands, 10mm at the fork and tapering to 5mm at the pouch. The pouch is made from very thin leather and is small and light.
With this setup I can achieve full accuracy out to 20 yds and the balls have just 0.8 ftlbs of energy - they will penetrate a sheet of 80gsm printer paper at 7yds (just) and do no damage to furniture or walls.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ...tried various dart designs, various band tapers, elastic bands ... zero consistency, erratic dart flights ...not worth the effort! Sorry for the dumb, inexperienced post.
I use 6mm airsoft. I bought 5000 of the heavy 2.5gn for £8
I made some very light bands, 10mm at the fork and tapering to 5mm at the pouch. The pouch is made from very thin leather and is small and light.
With this setup I can achieve full accuracy out to 20 yds and the balls have just 0.8 ftlbs of energy - they will penetrate a sheet of 80gsm printer paper at 7yds (just) and do no damage to furniture or walls.
Cheers Biker Bob , much appreciated. I.ll get those ordered. I.ve plenty of light band material ie 0.4/0.45.
Need to avoid divorce if possible.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Good luck - remember the bands need to be really light and the pouch even lighter - use the thinnest leather you can get.
You'll know if the bands you've made are too heavy because you'll get no accuracy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used to make those in school! Except I'd hold the elastic bands looped around my index finger and thumb, instead of from a frame.

You can add weight to the paper V (We always called them wasps back in the day) by folding a paperclip inside when making them, or by using woodglue, but that's messy. And a waste of wood glue. 🤣

I'd use a very light band if using from a frame (Theraband yellow, or maybe even blue), might be worth trying some very thin tube, too. 👍

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thnx for the reply Jimmy. They were great in school and at home for twanging your mates but are definitely too erratic for target practice! Gonna try BB 6mm airsoft, the heavier ones, as recommended on another thread discussion.Thanks again!

·
Registered
86 Posts
No problem, another thing that might be worth a try is these black nitrile rubber balls;

Not tried them myself, but they may be ideal for indoor shooting provided you use an ammo catcher 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.