Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that winter is spreading its wings, approaching relentlessly, along with nature, slingshot practice is affected too.
Unfortunately I don't have an indoors range, and at the rare circumstances that I am alone home, I can at most get around 8m distance for shooting.
When shooting at less than 10m, I've noticed that accuracy becomes extremely easier. 8m is like a walk in the park compared to 10m, and even 9m is much, much easier.
So, is it possible to up the challenge when shooting at shorter distances? One thought is to use smaller targets. Even they become much easier to hit, but would that be a viable solution?
My biggest issue is that I don't live alone so as to be able to shoot indoors whenever I want, so I expect my fingers to really feel the cold this year :( Thank god I live down south, but still...a nice basement would be perfect :/

·
Registered
612 Posts
Shooting at really tiny targets isn't a proper substitute for distance, but it's better than nothing. You can still practice your release, shooting rhythm, etc.

Also remember you can practice certain aspects of shooting without actually shooting anything!

I'm a student and since I don't get to shoot much during the year, I try to find other ways of practicing my slingshooting- pouch loading is a good one. I've always taken forever to load my pouch properly, so at my desk I can practice different loading techniques while I'm reading or studying.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Well as Dan stated above smaller targets aren't necessarily a substitute for distance, it is common practice when distance isn't available for Target Shooters to hit smaller targets at shorter ranges. An example of this that I can give you is when I was hunting with my spring-powered air rifle on an everyday basis, I kept Sharp indoors at 10 meters shooting my slavia 618 at Tic Tacs. I firmly believe this translated into better trigger control and sight picture acquisition in the field. I went from 7 out of 10 one shot one kill to 9 out of 10 in about a month. Another thing that can make it interesting, is changing shooting positions. Try kneeling, crouching, sitting, and I like to lean forward and shoot under things as if shooting at a critter under the brush or ducking below the limb of a fallen tree. The best advice I can give is to use your imagination, vary your targets, and have fun. :)

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

Reactions: skropi
1 - 3 of 3 Posts