Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a nice 5/8 bamboo cutting board and figured I'd try my hand at making my own frame. I am waiting on a scroll saw, but couldn't wait so went at it with a coping saw. Did a quick freehand drawing, based on the OPFS. Got it pretty much shaped out. Need to spend some time on the forks. The body needs a bit of refinement and final sanding. Nothing too exciting but almost looks like a shootable thing! Any advice greatly appreciated!

firstboo.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have used a ton of bamboo just like this. It's rock solid.

When you're done sanding (800/1000 grit recommended) leave it in a Ziploc Baggie of Tung/Danish/Teak Oil overnight.

Then leave it out on a paper towel for a half a day or whatever. It will spit out a little oil. You won't notice any grain swelling since Bamboo doesn't really do that.

Bonus Round

To make her silky, do a final rub-down with 0000 Steel Wool (with the grain)

You will lose some of the smoothness of your sandpaper finish, but it will be replaced by a super pleasant soft-touch type finish. Can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great idea! Nice design, looks great!
You asked for input? Take some time on the finish sanding, don't rush it, and using multiple thin coats of mineral oil will give a beautiful finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pic doesn't show it, but it has a nice flat finish on it. I didn't have any of the traditional finishes like TruOil, BLO, Tung oil, etc. I was just going to use some mineral oil, since it is a cutting board and that is used to condition them. Instead I decided to use some fractionated coconut oil. That's coconut oil with the main fatty acid removed. It stays liquid in fridge and doesn't go bad. It looks nice and I really like the silky feel it ended up with. Absolutely no oily or greasy feel to it. As I continue making different frames, I will definitely take my time with the finish. Even though the wait will drive me nuts!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You asked for input? Take some time on the finish sanding, don't rush it, and using multiple thin coats of mineral oil will give a beautiful finish

The pic doesn't show it, but it has a nice flat finish on it. I didn't have any of the traditional finishes like TruOil, BLO, Tung oil, etc. I was just going to use some mineral oil, since it is a cutting board and that is used to condition them. Instead I decided to use some fractionated coconut oil. That's coconut oil with the main fatty acid removed. It stays liquid in fridge and doesn't go bad. It looks nice and I really like the silky feel it ended up with. Absolutely no oily or greasy feel to it. As I continue making different frames, I will definitely take my time with the finish. Even though the wait will drive me nuts!
Good build!!! It's always a pleasure to shoot something we've made for ourselves. The wait when finishing is the most agonizing part for me as well... I usually try to make my frames in batches so I can keep my hands busy on a frame while waiting for something to dry. You could however use a CA glue finish that may take effort to get flat and right but is immediately usable once it's on. I don't use it though, because I can't stand the smell of that stuff YMMV.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,686 Posts

Good build!!! It's always a pleasure to shoot something we've made for ourselves. The wait when finishing is the most agonizing part for me as well... I usually try to make my frames in batches so I can keep my hands busy on a frame while waiting for something to dry. You could however use a CA glue finish that may take effort to get flat and right but is immediately usable once it's on. I don't use it though, because I can't stand the smell of that stuff YMMV.
Agreed Urbanshooter, the CA finish is good, but it smells absolutely awful when your working with it, and even sanding it when it is dry.....but it is quick and easy.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,686 Posts
@StringSlap, great job on the build, love it and love working with [email protected] is right also about the silky feel after using 0000 steel wool. I used to do this same thing

to my bamboo flutes I made, and occasionally just used a green Scotchbrite pad instead of the steel wool, as those work great as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts