Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the kids in my martial arts summer camp wanted to try slingshooting....so during lunch break, I taught him how to hold the frame, how to stand, aim, etc,.....and here are his first 2 shots. For safety, we used foil balls for ammo.

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
um... eye protection anyone?
Agreed. Get them used to it from the very start so there's less of a chance of injury later.

Otherwise, thanks for allowing this child to experience our world - one day she may be on the forum.

·
2,565 Posts
That is great! Get them young and convert them the old ways before the new takes em for good.
Are you saying that it is not prudent, and not in the interest of personal safety and liability, to wear eye protection when engaged in, especially at the learning stages of, a shooting sport? Are you saying that safety is the "old way"? Perhaps ricochets and rubber bands/tubes breaking don't really exist? Didn't Daisy have a massive slingshot recall when folks were injured from their crappy Chinese-made bands?

Please tell me I've misread your statement.

Mike
Former first Deputy Chief of Operations, National Slingshot Association

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
That is great! Get them young and convert them the old ways before the new takes em for good.
Are you saying that it is not prudent, and not in the interest of personal safety and liability, to wear eye protection when engaged in, especially at the learning stages of, a shooting sport? Are you saying that safety is the "old way"? Perhaps ricochets and rubber bands/tubes breaking don't really exist? Didn't Daisy have a massive slingshot recall when folks were injured from their crappy Chinese-made bands?

Please tell me I've misread your statement.

Mike
Former first Deputy Chief of Operations, National Slingshot Association
[/quote]
Yes we both misread one another's statements. I only saw that Sling Gal was promoting slingshots amongst young people, it is a fading art and past time, and got so excited that I missed the glaring fact that they did not have eye protection.

I actually did not misread your statement, i just didn't read it and you are absolutely correct. EYE PROTECTION is absolutely necessary.

Now, with that said.

Kudo's to Sling Gal for teaching kids about our sport, just have the kids wear safety glasses.

·
2,565 Posts
I've re-read your statement and now conclude that what you were trying to get across was that teaching kids the fun ways with which we enjoyed ourselves as youngsters is better than letting them play mindless and often violent video games and the like, including massive amounts of TV time.

And then you communicated to me (smartphones are great!) that I was correct in my review of your statement and that you agree with the safety recommendation from myself and the other shooter.

Okay, now we can kiss and make up.
Well, no, we'll just shake hands, ok?

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
You are correct sir!

I like to think that every kid I get in interested in slingshots, is one less kid being raised by media. I am at the age where I have made the cognitive connection that it is the children of today who will make decisions regarding my well being when I am an old man... and that is scary!!

I am now going to flog myself for not wearing safety glasses during this evenings practice session!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I completely failed to remember for the youngster to wear his goggles during this filming.....its never my intention for my students to willfully choose to go without safety apparatus. He normally wears them for blowgunning, and I have no excuse for forgetting...I just forgot. Definitely the kids need to wear safety glasses!.

Yup, slingshot shooting is an art that could be lost if we don't introduce it to the kids....same with blowguns....I try to teach them the safe and responsible way to practice targeting with blowguns and same with slingshots. I surely didn't intend for this thread to make it look as if I'm purposefully overlooking safety....as a martial arts instructor, safety is my priority, but as I said....I simply forgot this time around. My bad!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.