Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I made a simplified version of my vise (UK = vice) based pouch to band (and tubes) attachment rig using birch plywood and common accessories from the hardware store.

For those interested in making one of these at home, you can now download a detailed tutorial in the "templates" section of this forum.

Your comments and constructive criticism will be very welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your compliments, guys.

Here is an addendum that is not absolutely essential, but which would strengthen the structure of the vise mechanism in absolute terms:

The 40 mm (1.57 inches) diameter of the beech wood rod sections quoted in the tutorial document is sufficient in terms of outer wall thickness (6 mm) with regard to the position of the two connecting 5 mm diameter wood screws, as the tension forces (flat bands and tubes being elongated) are 100% linear.

I have tested the vise unit based on the 40 mm diameter wood rod sections by attaching a 3 kg (6 lbs) dumbbell using paracord, and letting the dumbbell fall suddenly from a height of 25 cm (10 inches) several times. The assembled vise unit survived this extreme ordeal without problems.

That said, I would recommend using beech wood rod with a diameter of 50 mm (2 inches) to enable a wall thickness of 9 mm between the 5 mm connecting wood screws with regard to the 12 mm inner vise mechanism hole and the outer surface of the wood rod unit. (please see the diagram, and refer to the tutorial document).

This will increase the structural rigidity in terms of safety margins - albeit that the 40 mm beech wood rod diameter is technically sufficient. I am not an engineer, so it's a continuous learning process ;).

Just wanted to point this out to those intending to make one of these rigs.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts