Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enough food and water to hold me over a month +, and from the looks of things I just may need it according to the new reports just out this evening ;- (

How many of you would use your sling (if you are a good enough shot) to gather food for the table if need be ? (I know some of your have been doing it for many years and my hats off to you).

I'm not the greatest shot in the world, but when push comes to shove, I can improve fast .. My BB slingshot shooting lately has greatly helped me, especially in my focus, anchor point awareness, tube alignment and follow through. My shooting the last month+ or so has improved a lot. My mental attitude of sling 'um to now seriously aiming and paying attention to the little things is something I am now doing and something I really never paid attention to ------ but the time has come ! Yesterday I had some shots that were not to my liking and had to sit myself down to what was I doing wrong and change it ....At ~20+ yards I need to hit a soup can at least 6-7 out of ten times for me know to be fairly confident ... I'm tired of "Oh, I just missed it" That means Oh, I'm not having dinner tonight !!!

I have air guns that I could use, but don't want to be out carrying a "GUN" and draw attention to myself if you know what I mean. As it is now, I go out on the back roads and if a car passes by nobody takes a second look even though I have a powerful slingshot in my hand, ammo in the pouch and a pocket full of ammo. Even if the sling is in your hand and someone sees it, in the eyes of the public, "it is just a slingshot", or they don't know what it is !

I have seen some great shooters on these forums and I hope some day to be able to come close to there shooting ability (all you guys know who you are and I greatly admire you). Right now I'm on a major crash course to greatly improve as fast as I can ------- The slingshot I used as a kid and played with could be the tool today that could put food on the table !!!

I went out today and although it was cold I did shoot. I will go out tomorrow and shoot again, I just hope it warms up a bit. I want my shooting to progress to the next level fast for sure, it is no longer fun and games for me !!!

wll

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Have a freezer in the garage stocked with beef and pork ribs. Steak , pork chops and hamburger. Refrigerator in the garage stocked with beer. Have 4 five gallon sparklets bottles of water and 6 cases of bottled water. 50 rolls of toilet paper. I'm ok. I ordered the toilet paper a month ago when they started talking about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm well stocked with food and water for months. I wouldn't want to have to feed myself with my SlingShot, I'm just not that good yet. But I do have a .25 caliber air rifle that is whisper quiet and powerful enough to take game up to even whitetail deer, and also a compound bow that has taken many deer. Also hundreds of acres to hunt on so I won't be going hungry.

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a freezer in the garage stocked with beef and pork ribs. Steak , pork chops and hamburger. Refrigerator in the garage stocked with beer. Have 4 five gallon sparklets bottles of water and 6 cases of bottled water. 50 rolls of toilet paper. I'm ok. I ordered the toilet paper a month ago when they started talking about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, I too have lots of dried stuff, have had it for a long time I could live for quite a while on the amount of Top Ramen I have ;- ) ... plus canned soups, Chile and the like. But the slingshot thing could be an addition in time of need. I don't have much meat in the freezer so a pigeon or two would be nice if need be, I have never cooked rabbit, but have cleaned them for others to cook, so that is a possibility also. But I also have a Polo Loco just down the street and will most likely be going through there drive through more often then I have been ;- )

Back to slingshots : The idea of carrying a instrument that is silent, easy to make*, simple in design, fairly small, shoots a host of different weight, types and sizes of ammo and is capable of harvesting your dinner intrigues me.

* The easy to make thing is very, very important: A natural is just as powerful as any other slingshot as we all know it is about the elastic. If you don't want to make a natural from a tree, how about making your sling using a coat hanger, bent wire or bareback, it is almost endless what can be done ?

The elastic can be rubber bands of all sizes and lengths, the pouch is a piece of leather/material that is easy to do yourself if you don't have a any pre made pouches. The elastic attachment to fork or pouch is as easy as wrapping a rubber band and securing it .. no special tools are needed.

And what will this homemade slingshot do ? ... just look at st clair county or Nico's videos along with others, how about Rufus Hussey back in the day ... nuff said ! This is all about the possibility of gathering food.

Don't get me wrong, most folks are going to use their slingshot for fun and such, what I'm saying is that if the need arises, the slingshot is a viable tool for food if the occasion arises.

wll

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I'm good on supplies for the time being, but I've got full confidence in my ability to take dinner with my sling. I have several airguns that are tackdrivers and my recurve but I hear what you mean about having a tool thats a little less imposing. If you're in an urban environment a slingshot is definitely a great option given you put in the time to achieve the desired results.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
I believe that targeting game gets better as you get hungrier. That philosophy has worked since the beginning of time. And don't forget the art of the trap! For self defense or protecting the little old lady at the Mini-Mart I can drive a round projectile deep into the ear canal from about 50ft, that is an easy shot for any of us. Move like a Ninja or an angry Cherokee and you'll be fine!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've only been shooting SlingShots for 3 months now, but one of my main reasons for getting into the hobby was for use as a survival tool.

At this point I'm not real confident in my ability to take small game with a SlingShot. I am getting an average of 233fps with 3/8" steel which I think would get the job done. But I have taken a few shots at pigeons at ranges of 20yds or more and did not connect. I have shot enough Pigeons around here with my air rifle that they have learned to keep their distance!

I think I would have a good chance of taking Rabbits or Squirrels or birds if I could get shots around 10yds or so and will hopefully be able to stretch that out to 20yds as I get better.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I believe that targeting game gets better as you get hungrier. That philosophy has worked since the beginning of time. And don't forget the art of the trap! For self defense or protecting the little old lady at the Mini-Mart I can drive a round projectile deep into the ear canal from about 50ft, that is an easy shot for any of us. Move like a Ninja or an angry Cherokee and you'll be fine!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I fully agree Mo, as Robin Williams put it so beautifully : "The three most important lessons in life will be taught to you by an empty wallet, a broken heart, & a hungry stomach."

I foresee a latex shortage on the horizon...
As a backup to this I went to the Home Hardware pre lockdown & bought 10ft. of 2040'ish surgical tubing. Not the snappiest, but if cut right and drawn long with a heavy projectile its as good or better that gum rubber which I'm pretty good with anyhow.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I've only been shooting SlingShots for 3 months now, but one of my main reasons for getting into the hobby was for use as a survival tool.

At this point I'm not real confident in my ability to take small game with a SlingShot. I am getting an average of 233fps with 3/8" steel which I think would get the job done. But I have taken a few shots at pigeons at ranges of 20yds or more and did not connect. I have shot enough Pigeons around here with my air rifle that they have learned to keep their distance!

I think I would have a good chance of taking Rabbits or Squirrels or birds if I could get shots around 10yds or so and will hopefully be able to stretch that out to 20yds as I get better.
Practice makes perfect my friend, at least you know your limitations with your kit. Some people just don't know how to handle limitations and thus make poor judgment calls when it comes to hunting.

Reactions: Tag and jhm757

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
In spite of most of Europe (and sadly now America too) being in the midst of anguish and mounting economic turmoil as a result of the CCP Coronavirus, it does seem as though the supply chain for food is working fairly normally, and much of the initial panic buying seen prior to the lock-down has now stopped.

Only small groups of people are allowed to shop at the same time in most supermarkets to ensure that crucial social distancing. The bottom line is that you may want to leave the products you do buy now untouched in the basement for several days, bearing in mind that the virus is apparently able to survive on plastic or metal surfaces for up to 4 to 5 days - and wash to your hands anytime you have touched something potentially contaminated, while avoiding touching your face unless your hands are absolutely clean.

Hunting small game with a slingshot is legally a no-no in Europe, with the exception of the UK. Total confinement makes leaving the house in most countries a bit difficult too: here in Switzerland, we're allowed to go for solo walks (couples are OK too), jogging, or biking to keep fit. My daily slingshot shooting sessions are a great way to get my mind off the general present Context.

Either way, I would clearly opt for a spring-piston or gas-ram pellet air rifle in .22 caliber with a scope to hunt small game out to 30-50 yards depending on its power. Air rifle pellets are widely available, as compared to .22 long rifle ammo, and takes very little space in terms of storage. If a S.H.T.F scenario does come about, an air rifle and something for self defense, such as an AR-15 or simply a good .357 magnum revolver, will ensure both a meat supply and protection against starving zombies.

This whole nightmare should be pretty well over in about two months time, as there should not be too many new cases with the virus after the main "wave" has gone through the population - assuming that a majority complies with the social distancing rules. I would therefore assume that the lock-down will gradually come to an end in the US by early June. If anything, the economic damage of this global pandemic is what will seriously affect all of us for years to come.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
292 Posts
In spite of most of Europe (and sadly now America too) being in the midst of anguish and mounting economic turmoil as a result of the CCP Coronavirus, it does seem as though the supply chain for food is working fairly normally, and much of the initial panic buying seen prior to the lock-down has now stopped.

Only small groups of people are allowed to shop at the same time in most supermarkets to ensure that crucial social distancing. The bottom line is that you may want to leave the products you do buy now untouched in the basement for several days, bearing in mind that the virus is apparently able to survive on plastic or metal surfaces for up to 4 to 5 days - and wash to your hands anytime you have touched something potentially contaminated, while avoiding touching your face unless your hands are absolutely clean.

Hunting small game with a slingshot is legally a no-no in Europe, with the exception of the UK. Total confinement makes leaving the house in most countries a bit difficult too: here in Switzerland, we're allowed to go for solo walks (couples are OK too), jogging, or biking to keep fit. My daily slingshot shooting sessions are a great way to get my mind off the general present Context.

Either way, I would clearly opt for a spring-piston or gas-ram pellet air rifle in .22 caliber with a scope to hunt small game out to 30-50 yards depending on its power. Air rifle pellets are widely available, as compared to .22 long rifle ammo, and takes very little space in terms of storage. If a S.H.T.F scenario does come about, an air rifle and something for self defense, such as an AR-15 or simply a good .357 magnum revolver, will ensure both a meat supply and protection against starving zombies.

This whole nightmare should be pretty well over in about two months time, as there should not be too many new cases with the virus after the main "wave" has gone through the population - assuming that a majority complies with the social distancing rules. I would therefore assume that the lock-down will gradually come to an end in the US by early June. If anything, the economic damage of this global pandemic is what will seriously affect all of us for years to come.

Stay safe.
Anything that comes into my house these days gets thoroughly disinfected with Clorox bleach wipes while wearing rubber gloves and also any surfaces the item touches.

As far a hunting with a SlingShot or any other method, if and when it comes down to I am hungry and need something to eat hunting laws will no longer apply in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

Stay safe.
Anything that comes into my house these days gets thoroughly disinfected with Clorox bleach wipes while wearing rubber gloves and also any surfaces the item touches.

As far a hunting with a SlingShot or any other method, if and when it comes down to I am hungry and need something to eat hunting laws will no longer apply in my opinion.
Thats great man , stay safe out there!

Reactions: Tag and jhm757

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I'm probably good enough to hunt with a slingshot and have some sort of sustainability.... But I don't need to. We've got livestock, a garden, plenty of water.... plus there's plenty of wild boar, and deer on our river property to take with one of my rifles... so we're pretty well set if worse comes to worse.

The only worry we have right now is the kids are home from school and needing to keep up their academics.... and Daranda's father is deathly ill and will be taking that long last ride sometime this week.

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm probably good enough to hunt with a slingshot and have some sort of sustainability.... But I don't need to. We've got livestock, a garden, plenty of water.... plus there's plenty of wild boar, and deer on our river property to take with one of my rifles... so we're pretty well set if worse comes to worse.

The only worry we have right now is the kids are home from school and needing to keep up their academics.... and Daranda's father is deathly ill and will be taking that long last ride sometime this week.
Sorry to hear about Daranda's father, been through that, it is tough !!

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't get scared to much, last time was the Kennedy - Khrushchev missile crises ..... but the Covid-19 thing has put fear into me ... This is NO joke. I'm doing the best I can to stay away from everyone and washing my hands like a fool. Please everyone, stay safe ;- )

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the subject of slingshots as a food gathering instrument .... what would be your "GO TO" slingshot to harvest game ?

What sling do you have the most confidence in to bring home the bacon and what ammo would be your favorite ?

wll

1 - 20 of 61 Posts