Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Like most consumables, toothbrushes get to a point where they need to be replaced, and end up in the trash - well, maybe not, as they can be used to clean bike chains, or maybe...be weaponized!

Toothbrushes are usually designed to fit the hand very nicely, along with anti-slip rubberized surfaces. For those of you who might opt for an (expensive) "tactical pen" for self-defense purposes, well, here is something worth trying to save some cash:

Sawing of the brush and sharpening the end with a file makes for a very simple yet effective defense weapon. The toothbrush I used to test the concept is made of transparent polycarbonate, which is flexible, yet offers the required rigidity to make something that could function like a tactical pen: recycling at its very best.

See the photos attached herewith.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every EU country still has its specific laws governing weapons of any kind, in spite of the EU directive they are all obliged to implement. Thus, it would probably be advisable to check with the local police station, or on the Internet, to see what laws apply in the country concerned.

Tactical pens doubtlessly qualify as weapons, or as "dangerous objects" in most European countries.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tactical pen is a multi-tool that you can use as a striking or stabbing weapon for self-defense. With the right preparation and mindset, it can be an effective deterrent against an attacker, even if you don’t have any martial arts or self-defense training. You can use tactical pen follow some steps here: step 0: avoid the situation, step 1: assess the situation, step 2: know your target, step 3: strike, step 4: get help. Hope these steps can help you use tactical pen effectively.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The "tactical pen" is a fun marketing idea based on javara. It requires some preparation for correct use, and can be easily replaced with a regular fountain pen or even a pencil. For self-defense (where allowed), push-dagger is much more effective, since it is an extension of the hand, it is more natural. Better yet is a gas canister and athletics. :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
4: get help
Best not to do that.

Break-in/home invasion. Robber shot dead by the homeowner. Phoned the cops.

"OK, turn the dead guy over so we can try an ID him..... OMG! You shot one of our cops! $#&@!!!"

Very very awkward indeed.

push-dagger is much more effective
My tactical pen turns into a push dagger.. of sorts. :cool:

You can see it here:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
And here is the tactical pen I made out of a plastic gel-pen.

The toothbrush one and my gel-pen one have one disadvantage... they can't write. So if found on you, you'll need to do some explaining. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My EDC is a Taurus G3C
How do you stop the gun from showing through your shirt? It's a problem for me. I thought I would use a belly-band... but no, not quite an optimal solution. I can get away with it but it'll cost me quite a bit of comfort.

And how do you deal with metal detectors? Many of the places I end up in have scanners. (no scanner is going to pick up Pebble Shooter's toothbrush:cool:)

Or are you allowed to open-carry?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
How do you stop the gun from showing through your shirt? It's a problem for me. I thought I would use a belly-band... but no, not quite an optimal solution. I can get away with it but it'll cost me quite a bit of comfort.

And how do you deal with metal detectors? Many of the places I end up in have scanners. (no scanner is going to pick up Pebble Shooter's toothbrush:cool:)

here in Trxas as long as your not a Felon,you can carry a pistol almost anywhere

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
here in Trxas as long as your not a Felon,you can carry a pistol almost anywhere
Neat.

I can open-carry if I get a carry permit. But it's only for 6 months. I haven't found the need to go through the trouble of getting one. I hate filling out forms. Filling out a form crushes your soul a little every time you do it. And if you fill out like a hundred forms, there will be nothing left of you inside... you will become a zombie.

Or I can conceal a Russian classic without letting anyone know. Russian guns hide very easy. Problem is they are not registered in my name and if I ding someone, I will have much grief... if caught.

My own gun is a FS-92 .... not easy to hide.

·
Super Moderator
5,158 Posts

I'm pretty thin, for my age, and I carry IWB. The gun will sometimes print, if I'm wearing a tight T-shirt, but it hasn't been a problem. In Texas, you can open carry IF you have an LTC, but I leave public open carry to the cowboys. Let them be the first targets if shooting breaks out. I haven't been anywhere with metal detectors in more than three years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts