Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make simple shooters compared to most of you great craftsmen but we are all unique. The oak had been lying in a field for nearly a year and had powder post beetle larvae (or some kind of bug resembling a maggot) buried inside. Either sanding or the first coat of natural stain caused it to emerge. After many coats of poly the bug holes filled and this is the result . I have had several forks that had worm holes. Some emerged while being sanded others due to stain.
I thought the dogwood fork was on a dead limb but I was half right, thus the two tone dogwood fork. I may shorten the handle later. The curve gives it a natural palm swell and forward reaching forks. ( That is why I slid the leatherman underneath to show the curve. I'll try to do better next time.)
Tex shooters bands add the finishing touch and both of them shoot great.
Happy New Year everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I make simple shooters compared to most of you great craftsmen but we are all unique. The oak had been lying in a field for nearly a year and had powder post beetle larvae (or some kind of bug resembling a maggot) buried inside. Either sanding or the first coat of natural stain caused it to emerge. After many coats of poly the bug holes filled and this is the result . I have had several forks that had worm holes. Some emerged while being sanded others due to stain.
I thought the dogwood fork was on a dead limb but I was half right, thus the two tone dogwood fork. I may shorten the handle later. The curve gives it a natural palm swell and forward reaching forks. ( That is why I slid the leatherman underneath to show the curve. I'll try to do better next time.)
Tex shooters bands add the finishing touch and both of them shoot great.
Happy New Year everyone.
I will shorten the dogs tail one day

·
Super Moderator
7,053 Posts
They came out real nice Fatboy! You have to love Dogwood. That wood was the wood of choice for many a young man growing up in the US for making slingshots with.
Flatband

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a North Carolina natural made by Fatboy, and let me tell you guys, it IS nice. And a really good shooter, too.

Good work, Fatboy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.