Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Singing along with the voices in my head
442 Posts
The past couple of weeks I've been kicking the weekends off by making a new frame after work on Fridays, and usually a second one either on Saturday or Sunday. I've been bitten by the building bug! Having more fun building from templates rather than designing my own for now. It's been a great way to wind down after the work week.

Picked up a new bench-top drill press this week, and tonight I couldn't resist getting a head start on this coming weekends project frames
clear.png

4YTFQq4.jpg

Going with Peter Recuas's Apex template and a Pocket Predator Tag PFS traced out from the aluminum core that arrived in the mail recently. Making from 3/8" linen phenolic. Haven't decided how I want to dress the core up yet, but figured making one out of phenolic would at least let me get some shooting in with it while I decide.

The drill press just saved me tons of time with the coping saw tomorrow.

Will update as we go :)

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys!

Got home after work today, wolfed down dinner, then went downstairs to get to work.

Connected the dots with the coping saw. Man this phenolic is tough stuff! Pre-drilling the outlines was much appreciated.

5Y8YB65.jpg

Also picked up an oscillating spindle/belt sander combo this week :)

Stage one shaping/sanding

OnQGNqA.jpg

Stage two shaping/sanding. Took the top layer of epoxy down a bit on the belt sander to get some grain showing to maybe help with grip.

G7711MD.jpg

Then some time spent sanding by hand. Probably not enough, but I'm a fan of ugly ducklings. Cleaned up, rubbed down with some mineral oil and beeswax. Think they came out pretty nice. The new tools really made this easier! Scroll saw should arrive this weekend or early next week...

W6NpoG3.jpg

Now to go back downstairs and band 'em up for some shooting.

Thanks for looking!

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Very nice!

I am trying to do something similar...except.I am much less productive.

Attachments

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone!

I know it's not the weekend yet... But my scroll saw came in yesterday, and I couldn't help but take it for a spin tonight. So much nicer than the coping saw :)

BZEXMfC.jpg

Little Plinker from Dayhiker's template, inspired by Port boy's post yesterday. Now I'm all out of phenolic until I order some more.

3t9LJFT.jpg

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Duke. I had ordered a 6" x 12" sheet of this 3/8 linen phenolic to try working with, and was able to get 5 frames out of it. I've really liked working with it, and will probably order some more. The Apex you mentioned is a neat frame! I'd love to try it again, but try adding palm swells. Also glad you like the beeswax finish. I wasn't sure if it would work out with the phenolic, but seems it seems to like it.

JUAXyTG.jpg

Still thinking about what tomorrow's project will be... It was supposed to be the Small Plinker I did yesterday... Will be an HDPE cutout, as I have one frame left in the 1/2" sheet I have. Running low on supplies :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Duke. I had ordered a 6" x 12" sheet of this 3/8 linen phenolic to try working with, and was able to get 5 frames out of it. I've really liked working with it, and will probably order some more. The Apex you mentioned is a neat frame! I'd love to try it again, but try adding palm swells. Also glad you like the beeswax finish. I wasn't sure if it would work out with the phenolic, but seems it seems to like it.

JUAXyTG.jpg

Still thinking about what tomorrow's project will be... It was supposed to be the Small Plinker I did yesterday... Will be an HDPE cutout, as I have one frame left in the 1/2" sheet I have. Running low on supplies :)
What is the frame on the second from the left? I like that design a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts