Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be a bother, but does anybody know the weight of a finished common 3/8'' and 1/2'' hex nut respectively, thanks

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
3/8" (9.5mm) about 3.5g-4g

1/2" no idea, different metals different weights

(Have you any idea of convert yourself to metric measurements)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i know that thanks. I just dont have an electric scale and i didnt going to the supermarket to weigh.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually use 3/8''or .44 lead and they pack a whallop. But they can cost you, so i was thinking of getting hex nuts in bulk. They are cheap and can be flung away all day without hurting my wallet. Few sources say that shooting irregular shape projectile at close range (say within 25feet) wont affect accuracy much, plus the irregular shape improves damage potential. So has anyone tried hex nuts, in terms of lethality how do they match up to steel shots.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Hex nuts are not a safe stable ammo to shoot. I will never shoot them again. If you shoot yourself they can be devistating and if you miss they spin off and hit what you dont want.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice gallery seems like you are walking through a real art gallery.haha
Btw got different ammo to try 15mm hex nuts (more than 1/2'' wide), Lead- 180grain ball, 120 grain torpedoes and diamond shape lead ammo too for penetration. And blowgun darts for fun. So which ammo looks promising for slingshot close range hunting. 180 gr is too heave to shoot effectively with the bands im going to use though.

Attachments

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
Nice collection, always wear Safety Glasses meets or exceeds ANSI Z87.1-2003 High Impact Requirements

·
Registered
691 Posts
I sometimes use 1/2'' nuts at 10 meter (33ft)they fly the same as regular ball shaped ammo. I would say up to 15 meters(50ft) definitely they fly the same .Maybe there is not even any differents dont know.
My nut
weights 7 gramms

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
There is a problem with odd shaped ammo when hunting, especially nuts. They make more noise than round ammo. If hunting, it means that the game has more warning of the projectile. They don’t even notice incoming round ammo until it is too late. -- Tex

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup my 15mm hex nuts are also around 7-8grams that is towards 120 grains, same weight as the diamond and torpedo lead shots except lead is denser. Lead projectiles are double the price$$ but I suspect that they have double the deadliness especially the irregular shaped lead sinkers.
I doubt noise will matter when hunting avians at close distance, birds cant react to noise as fast as mammals can. Rats etc are a real problem, they can jump a noisy shot.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,516 Posts
I am buying a bunch of hex nuts on my lunch break to shoot tonight. I will see how they work and let everybody know. Cheap ammo is always a plus.

·
6,516 Posts
In fact the hex nuts might shoot BETTER than the round balls. Golf balls have imperfections because a perfectly round ball does not fly as fast or as far as one with dimples.

I did just pick up 100 1/4 inch hex nuts at home depot and found that they were no less expensive then regular ammo ...

·
6,516 Posts
Ok. I shot 100 1/4 inch hex nuts this weekend. They seemed to do pretty well. I would not use them as my standard ammo however. I did have a few that went wild and had a couple fork hits which I have never had before. Overall I was pretty accurate with them. If they were cheaper I would use them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i wish lee molds would come out with a .44 cal lead mold with dimples. Hay jose how did the diffrent ammos work? has anyone ever tried egg or football shaped ammo? Or hex nuts filled with lead? Jesse

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hex nuts filled with lead will definitely pack a whallop. but I dont like to do work for the ammo. Plus they are very heavy use them with powerful bands. Egg shape lead ammo no, but I bought diamond shape ones and long shape ones will try them once Ive completed my slingshot, will start tomorrow. Im sure they have some potential to do some real damage. the .44 cal lead round ball thru my experience does hit hard but my problem with it is trajectory and penetration.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
If you get the 3/8 hex you can knock a 3/8 steel ball in it. the 1/4 inch is too light. It is a good idea to shoot hex heads with a slingshot you do not like because a fork hit can be very damaging. I know hitting a finger is bad.

·
6,516 Posts
I am looking for inexpensive ammo. Even Hex nuts are like $5 for 100 of them. Anyoen have any suggestions? (Other than rocks?)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
8mm nails, they are quite long. cut them 1.5cm long pieces. deadly cylindrical ammo. Think its cheaper, check it out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts